[bookshare-discuss] Re: Book Info

  • From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 22:04:35 -0600

Good point. Most of us don't realize how important this information is. I, for one, rarely even bother with them unless I'm reading a series and want to know the order. Thanks.

-----Original Message----- From: Ann Parsons
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 7:44 PM
To: siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: Book Info

Hi all,

No, Sue, she isn't vague at all. She is, if you'll pardon me, explicit,
though not specific.  In nonfiction books which she needs to read for
her work as a professor in a college, she is discovering that the
copyright dates in Publisher Quality books do not agree when listed in
the book.  She is confused about which copyright dates reflect the date
of copyright for the text and which reflects the copyright date for the
electronic copy.  These are sometimes vastly different.  She needs to
know which date reflects the copyright of the text itself, not the
electronic copy because she is using this nonfiction data for her own
research and for her class material.  This is a serious problem.  It
is, I will admit, not a problem faced by those of us who read bookshare
books for pleasure, but is  a real and outstanding issue to someone
whose job may depend on the accuracy of the information she gives to
her students and places in her research papers.  Perhaps you are
unaware of the primary dictem of academe "publish or parish"?  Now do
you see why she is so upset, and why this issue is of importance to her.

Frankly, just because her problem isn't mine is no excuse for my
inattention or my annoyance or my lack of compassion.  It should be a
wake up call.  Someone is having difficulty.  There is a real problem.
It needs to be solved.   Bookshare is *not* for people who just want to
read for pleasure.  It is a resource for college students and for
professors and other professionals.  If the information we have isn't
accurate, then Bookshare is at fault.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons