[bookshare-discuss] Re: Article: Apple's new iPod MP3 player user-friendly, even for the visually impaired.

  • From: "Rui" <rui@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:06:15 -0500

Hello:
the shuffle comes in 2 sizes.
512 mb = $99 or 1 gb = $149.

$149 is half the price of the specialized readers.

this is not comparing apples to apples since i believe a 128 mb card comes
with the bc.  If you were to buy a 1 gb card, that would probably be another
$80 tacked on to your $300.

This for me is strictly an mp3 player (music)

As far as books, i converted a 450-page book using k1000 to mp3 and it was
about 100 megs in total, so you could comfortably fit a few books on either
shuffle.
i'm not much of a reader so this point isn't important to me but it
obviously is to others.

My only problem with the shuffle is that you have to use the iTunes software
to transfer mp3s on to the unit.
it is a bit of an accessibility issue for me because jfw 4.51 does not read
the screen well, but later versions of jfw read it better.