[bookshare-discuss] 2 books submitted for approval

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 00:55:36 -0500

Earlier this week Eric Hatch's 1930s novel "My Man Godfrey" was accepted into
the collection after I validated it.

I want to thank Gary for going way out of his way to track down and scan this
book so I could read it!  I believe this book has been out of print for decades,
so I was thrilled that Gary found it.  Hurrah, Gary!  The book was made into one
of the most popular movies (by the same title) of the 1930s, and the film "My
Man Godfrey" was nominated for six Academy Awards.

Tonight I uploaded for approval K. M. Peyton's "Pennington's Last Term."  a
delightful young adult book scanned for me by Mayrie.  This is the first book in
the 4-book "Pennington Series." I highly recommend it for anyone who has enjoyed
any of K. M. Peyton's other books, especially the Flambards series.  Here's the
synopsis from the book flap:

"Idle and destructive in class," his report card said. "Character and obedience
unsatisfactory in the extreme." Under Music his teacher had written, "May God
forgive this boy for abusing so unusual a talent."
Aimless, insubordinate, a 196-pound hulk of a boy, Patrick Pennington had been
committed (his own words) to a fifth year at Beehive secondary school. Now his
last term still stretched before him, a prospect of unrelieved boredom and
torment.
"Soggy" Marsh, the sadistic form master, had given him two days to have his
shoulder-length hair cut. The new police constable was out to get Penn into
reform school. Even gentle Crocker, his piano teacher, seemed to be trying to
break him.
But out of Penn's bitterness and rage, there grows a sudden deep sense of
himself as one day, in a piece of music, he finds an elation, a fierce and
irrepressible pleasure. Scornfully rebelling against the arbitrariness of
authority, against his parents, the law, and his teachers, Penn unexpectedly
discovers in his own abilities a key to a meaningful life.
Pennington's revolt against the hypocrisy of the adult world in which he must
live will speak directly to all young readers. K. M. Peyton, the winner of the
1969 Carnegie Medal, has written a moving, powerful, and at the same time
outrageously funny story about a very believable and very contemporary young
man.

Happy reading!

Judy s.