[bookport] Re: the list moderators

  • From: "Scott Howell" <n3byy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:28:42 -0400

To be honest, the ogg format is not a joke. Perhaps they are tweaking
and modifying the format, but the basic format will remain the same. It
makes sense to use such a format which bosts greater depth and clarity
with a reduced size over mp3. Now true for audio books etc. you don't
need the same level of quality as with music and perhaps mp3 would be
fine as there may not be as much savings over the ogg format, but I've
not conducted experiments in this manner myself. I am sure however the
ogg or vorbis format would still win out and is still very much worth
supporting. There is plenty of stuff in the vorbis format and hopefully
more will find its way on to the web. The fact that more now maybe
offered as mp3 makes sense as mp3 has been around longer than vorbis.
Just because its open source is not a reason to shy away from it, but
instead make use of it and that's the whole point of open source.
One other final thought is that why should someone have to go through
and perform a conversion of a file from vorbis to mp3 in any case.
That's like taking an mp3, converting it to wav, and into something
else; you stand to loose quality in doing this.

Scott