[bookport] the bad old days

  • From: blsmass@xxxxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:04:26 -0700

Reading over today's digest (yesterday's comments) before I go back to
work brought back a lot of memories.  I do have a B.A. in English and
even up until 1975 or so most of the material was typed as badly as I
type but on a manual typewriter.  If I had had the tools they have today
my life would have been a lot easier in terms of writing papers.  My
father once change the word gorse (which I assume is some kind of british
grass or something) to grass because he thought it was my error.  I also
used Echo and hadn't thought about it for years either.  I tried some of
the new eloquence voices in converting a book to a more human sounding
text, but even at 100% the speech rate was too slow.  I trashed them all
when I was done, just two presses of two keys.  Remembering that, and
also knowing now what I didn't know then about how many books and such by
Charles Dickens and others exist that I never even heard of makes me so
grateful for whatever synthesizer is in the bookport.  I don't understand
how somebody would want to listen to some of those voices but having the
choice is everything.  That is why I say that I will support the newest
bookport when it comes out because I like the features and much that is
going to happen with it, if not now, then hopefully soon.  Thanks
everybody for reminding us of what was our lives before the age of
computers, let alone the bookport.  It is my second favorite device, but
that's only because I have loved radios since I was four years old.  I am
actually in danger of losing my NLS priviliges because I don't read with
tape anymore, I don't have the time.  Kurt