[bookport] strange behavior with a four gig card

  • From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:22:30 -0500

I am writing about this only because it has happened twice in a row, and may
help to determine if in fact there are anomalies with the BookPort using
four gig cards.

Twice now, I helped a friend upload Audible books to their four gig card on
the BookPort, and after each time, the unit's keys wouldn't do anything.
All we heard occasionally was "BookPort 2.3.3.0 ready," or something very
similar.  Taking out the batteries and resetting the unit did not change a
thing, which makes me suspect that the card had an anomaly each time
possibly created by the unit which it couldn't handle.

Since I didn't have a card reader, I plugged in the bookport to the computer
using the USB cable, and did a "check for errors" on the disk with the fix
files automatically and recover bad sectors boxes checked.  After almost 45
minutes, it finally got through Phase one, then gave me the message that
scandisk or chkdsk (I forget which was running) couldn't finish the
operation and closed before conducting phase two.

The unit was still inoperable with none of the keys doing anything I could
tell.  I finally hit the four corner keys to reformat the card, and believe
it or not, hitting that combination seemed to unstick whatever was keeping
the unit locked up, and all worked well after that.  I had to hit that combo
a few times, but at some point, I can't say exactly when, the unit began
functioning as it should, and all files were there and working, including
the three Audible files I had uploaded.

Very strange, and it may make no sense, but I am hoping that it may give a
clue to Pam, Rob, or Larry about a possible source of a problem with the
BookPort writing to four gig cards.

Don