[bookport] Re: making ethernet cables and wiring

  • From: "Philip Hall" <phall-eml2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:37:52 -0400

Hi. I have made many phone cables using rj11 and 4 conductor cables
,serial cables using rj45 connectors and eight conductor cables over the past 20 years or so. I am totally blind, and as the other person said, if one is careful, it is possible. I must admit, that sometimes it takes a few tries to get the wires aligned correctly. as for cat 5 or 6 cables, i suppose it might be possible, but there is the problem of matching the color pairs correctly, along with the problem of the cable being round instead of flat. the actual colors don't really matter, as long as the correct pairing is maintained. I haven't tried this yet, and as a matter of fact, a sighted coworker tried to fix a cat 5 cable, but wasn't able to keep the wires in place long enough to crimp them, and had a very hard time getting the colors right.

phil

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Parr" <philparr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>