[bookport] Re: help, trashed firmware

  • From: Ann Byrne <annakb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:45:46 -0600

Don,

You're one of three that I know of--including me--that this happened
to.  there's maybe a gnat in the download somehow.  Being not a subtle
person, I unloaded everything from the computer and reinstalled BP from the
original CD.  that worked.  I also replaced the batteries, which said 25%
and later 3%, and once or twice 'batteries are low--replace now!', and
reformatted the flash card for good measure--which did nothing, of course,
except make me feel like I was doing something.

the reinstall fixed BP for me.  Then I went to aph.org/beta and downloaded
the update, instead of using the transfer software.  I'm back in business.

The messages you report are similar to the ones I had.  There was something
that made it sound like I was in the middle of a voice memo, but I
wasn't--or thought I wasn't.  I could have played the file that was
currently open, but couldn't get to any others.

End of story is that it's fixed.  Someone else, though, had the same
problem and she hasn't won yet.  But since mine was subdued, I think it
isn't a fatal flaw.

Good luck!

Ann