[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V4 #323

  • From: DCHAMM1@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:55:49 EST

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

In a message dated 11/22/2007 12:55:44 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

bookport  Digest    Wed, 21 Nov 2007    Volume: 04  Issue:  323

In This Issue:
[bookport] New member  in the market for a talking book playe
[bookport] Re: New member in the market for a talking book p
[bookport] Re: New member in the market for a talking book  p
[bookport] Web browser transference and  speech
[bookport] Re: Web browser transference  and speech
[bookport] happy  thanksgiving
[bookport] Announcements and  questions
[bookport] Re: Announcements and  questions

Date:  Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:10:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Rob Lambert  <rmlambert1987@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] New member in the  market for a talking book player

I'm Rob. I just joined the list. I was  unsure which unit to buy (the Victor
Reader Stream or the Book Port) but after  having heard the description of the
current book port, it sounds like I'd like  the Book Port. My only concern is
how the new unit will look (mainly the  keypad) - has anyone seen it? I've
heard it has an SD card and other various  improvements which sounds good, but
the keypad makes me nervous (understand  that I'm coming from Victor products).
Could anyone provide input on this  please? Thanks. :)

---------------------------------
Be a better sports nut! Let your  teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it
now.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Clark"  <rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:20:00  -0800

Bob,
Hate to disappoint you but APH has had to  put the development of the new
BookPort on hold indefinitely due to  problems out of their control.  And the
current model is probably  sold out too by now.

*---*  *---*  *---*  *---*   *---*
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.
Robert  & Dreamer Doll  ke7nwn
Newport, Oregon
N24C 3G 8/2000  Hookup
rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:22:16 -0800
From: "Chela Robles"  <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>

The keypad is like a standard  telephone, with six rows of 3. 1,2,3 on
the top row, 4,5,6 on the second,  7,8,9 on the third, *,0,pound,  on
the fourth, A,B,C on the fifth, and  D,E,F on the final row, hope that
helps you out Rob and welcome to the  list, I'm sure you'll benefit
greatly from this experience, Chela  Robles

--
Chela Robles
E-Mail: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:31:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Rob Lambert  <rmlambert1987@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Web browser  transference and speech

Two things I was also curious about. (1) I know  the current Book Port works
with IE file downloads, but why should it matter  what kind of web browser
that the file comes from? I use Fire Fox and aren't  they the same HTML file
regardless? (2) Also, in regards to the speech, any  plans to include a
secondary
synth? I don't mind the DoubleTalk in small bits,  but if I had to listen to
it for several hours I'd freak because it sounds  somewhat robotic (and I know
what robotic is - I have a 1993 Braille 'n Speak  that can't even pronounce
the word Ireland right LOL).

---------------------------------
Be a better pen pal.  Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See  how.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Clark"  <rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Web browser  transference and speech
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:02:45 -0800

HTML is pretty much the same regardless of browser used.  When it  comes
to downlaods, it makes no difference which broswer is  used.

As to speech, since the new BookPort is on hold,  there is always a faint
possibility, very remote chance, of this being  addressed...if the BP that
was in development is totally scrapped and APH  starts over again.

On the other hand, using the current  BP if you have ine, is to send text
files thru another program such as  K1000 or Text Aloud and saving it as
audio using different  speech.

*---*  *---*  *---*  *---*  *---*
Some  people are like Slinkies .. not really good for anything, but you can't

help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

From:  "louis scrivani" <lscrivani2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] happy  thanksgiving
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:18:14 -0500

BlankI hope that you have a very healthy and happy  day!    Also during =
the day say a prayer and or just think of  our men and women, who are =
fighting for us!
Louis

-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Ecartis  --
-- Type: image/gif
-- File: Blank  Bkgrd.gif

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21  Nov 2007 18:33:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Rob Lambert  <rmlambert1987@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Announcements and  questions

Do announcements pertaining to the bookport come to this  list? Also I have a
few other questions. One is whether or not the Book Port 2  is still going to
come to the market (though I understand the time is a  complete mystery right
now), and also, for those of you who have Book Ports  (i'm assuming most
people do) and have tried the Victor Reader series of  players (such as the
Wave
or Stream) what do you think of the two? A third and  final question is - what
is the difference between the Book Port and Book  Courier? It looks to me like
they're the same unit.

---------------------------------

From: "Robert Clark"  <rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Announcements and  questions
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:56:00 -0800

Rob,
Yes we get announcements and updates here on this list.  The BP 2
project is on indefinite hold.

It is prefered that  any discussion on this list be limited to the
BookPort.

As I understand it, the Book Courier lacks the braille input features.
I am not sure of any other differences.

*---*  *---*   *---*  *---*  *---*
I have seen the truth and it makes no  sense.

Date:  Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:03:28 -0600
From: Sandy Licht  <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>

In answer to your last question, the Bookport will do a lot  more than
the Book Courier.  The Courier is not a notetaker, for  example.

We don't know anything definite about Bookport2.  APH is  still hoping
to release it.  Anything new about its release will be  announced on this
list.

At 06:33 PM 11/21/2007 -0800, you  wrote:
>Do announcements pertaining to the bookport come to this list?  Also
>I have a few other questions. One is whether or not the Book Port  2
>is still going to come to the market (though I understand the time
>is a complete mystery right now), and also, for those of you who
>have Book Ports (i'm assuming most people do) and have tried the
>Victor Reader series of players (such as the Wave or Stream) what do
>you think of the two? A third and final question is - what is the
>difference between the Book Port and Book Courier? It looks to me
>like they're the same unit.
>

>Be a better pen  pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
><http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51732/*http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/>See  how.

Sandy Licht
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14.
For I know the plans I have  for you," declares the LORD, "plans to
prosper you and not to harm you,  plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call upon me and come  and pray to me, and I will listen
to you. You will seek me and find me  when you seek me with all your
heart. I will be found by you," declares  the LORD, "and will bring
you back from captivity.

------------------------------

From:  "albert griffith" <albertgriffith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:44:57  -0800

From information I gleaned from an article in, Access world, I  believe Larry
and the development gang are concentrating on the Icon's  sister, Braille
Plus.
_____

Do announcements pertaining to the bookport come to this  list? Also I have a
few other questions. One is whether or not the Book  Port 2 is still going to
come to the market (though I understand the time  is a complete mystery right
now), and also, for those of you who have Book  Ports (i'm assuming most
people do) and have tried the Victor Reader series  of players (such as the
Wave or Stream) what do you think of the two? A  third and final question is
- what is the difference between the Book Port  and Book Courier? It looks to
me like they're the same  unit.

_____

Be a better pen pal. Text or  chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.  See
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51732/*http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/>  how.

End of bookport  Digest V4  #323

products.