[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V4 #211

  • From: "G. Morgan Watkins" <morgan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:40:33 -0500

You asked:
 "I have just received my book port and am very happy to have got it.  I
am hoping to learn a lot of things from u all.can any1tell me whether
there r any
do's and dont's that we have to take care of when using the book port
and any thing that is not listed in the manual?:

I've owned the old RoadRunner, Book Courier, and Book Port.  If you
are like me, you'll carry your Book Port everywhere.  One of my
biggest concerns is keeping it clean and free of my guide dog's flying
fur.  I've found that Ziploc snack bags(I use the generic variety) ,
which are about half the depth of a sandwich bag, can accomodate a
Book Port if you gently stretch them a bit.  I use a paper hole punch
to put a small hole on the top edge of the baggie so that the ear
phone jack can be accessed.  And, my Book Port is in that handy
weather resistant casing 100% of the time.  I hike, travel, and feel
free to go
anywhere with my Book Port.  And I can even use the Braille keyboard
without difficulty through the plastic.  My old Book Courier used to
get dog hair and grit in  the unit, but I do not have that problem any
more.  I've also found that a neatly folded baggie in my wallet, not
the Ziploc kind, is handy if you suddenly find yourself walking in the
rain, because
you can whip it out and be sure to keep your Book Port dry.

Finally, I tend to use the single ear jacks from Radio Shack as i can
listen to books as I roam and still have an ear available to track my
surroundings.