[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V2 #116

  • From: "ptorpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:53:22 -0400

Well, I don't understand this behavior either for a CF card. Maybe I can
never use this folder again and must eventually delete it?  This would mean
that you can't keep on putting books in a particular directory, wiping them
out, putting more, etc. without leading to degraded responsiveness.

In either case, this is very strange performance.  Maybe the folks at APH
can enlighten us.

-- Pete

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:35:47 -0400
From: "MICHAEL MCCARTY" <mmccarty@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Sluggishness and number of books in folders

I was going at it from the aspect of files that you delete are not
really gone, but hidden from a users general use.  I guess I was
thinking that the data, even though not used by the user, is still
there?  Maybe I'm off with this thought?

Michael McCarty
Fred's Head Database Coordinator
American Printing House for the Blind
www.aph.org

>>> sduck@xxxxxxxxx 04/27/05 10:48AM >>>
Mike,
I don't think that defragmenting a flash card improves access speed
any.
When you defragment a hard drive, you improve access time because the
read/write head doesn't have to move around as much looking for the
information that it needs.  Because a flash card is memory, it doesn't
have
any parts that have to move around, looking for information.
Therefore,
defragmentation of a flash card doesn't do anything, from a practical
sense.
At least this is my understanding.
Thanks,
Scott
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:18:08 -0400
From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Firmware Beta 28

Please let us know of any old or new bugs you find in beta 28.  We are
not adding any new features, just bug fixes.

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "James Jolley" <james.jolley1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Firmware Beta 28
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:31:35 +0100

Hi Lary,

Things seem ok hear, note taking bug certainly fixed.

Best

-James-

------------------------------

From: "Liam Martin" <noatman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:42:20 +0000

I was knocked off the mailing list for a couple of days and missed Beta 27.
Just wondering, what was the note taker bug that is now fixed?

Liam

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:40:28 -0400
From: "MICHAEL MCCARTY" <mmccarty@xxxxxxx>

I will, as soon as I can get home to download the update.  I can't get
it at APH because of the lockouts.  It's like having someone holding my
hand while I work, very annoying.

From: "Claude Everett" <claudeeverett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] which one to buy?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:27:39 -0700

Hello, list,
  Well, it looks as though,  that the Book Port and BookCourier, from
watching the discussion on the lists, still have plenty of individual bugs
to work out.

Without getting too, technical, if anyone can these days.  what features
convinced you, to buy the devise, you bought?

------------------------------

From: "James Jolley" <james.jolley1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:29:02 +0100

Hi,

Basicly, it fixes the issue where the unit didn't report the line number
correctly on new note files. It was one of the bugs I reported.  I
understand that your not looking for features but i'll suggest it for a
future upgrade. How about having a volume increment setting in the settings
list to define how much it moves up when holding the F Key down?  What do
people think?

-James-

------------------------------

From: "Lou Kolb" <loukolb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: which one to buy?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:49:17 -0400

I bought the BP nearly 2 years ago.  At the time, I felt that the slightly
higher price of the BP was more than offset by the longer list of file types
it handled.  I also knew APH to be a solid organization which would likely
be supportive of and responsive to it's customers.  I've seen nothing in the
interim to make me regret my decision.  However, I must add that not having
a Book Courier, I can't comment knowledgably on it's strengths and
weaknesses.  Lou

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:54:25 -0500
From: "Sarah Cranston" <cranston.sarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I like the volume suggestion, people could have the best of both worlds.

Basicly, it fixes the issue where the unit didn't report the line number =

correctly on new note files. It was one of the bugs I reported.  I=20
understand that your not looking for features but i'll suggest it for a=20
future upgrade. How about having a volume increment setting in the =
settings=20
list to define how much it moves up when holding the F Key down?  What =
do=20
people think?

-James-

----- Original Message -----=20
>I was knocked off the mailing list for a couple of days and missed Beta =
27.
> Just wondering, what was the note taker bug that is now fixed?
>
> Liam
>>From: "James Jolley" <james.jolley1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: [bookport] Re: Firmware Beta 28
>>Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:31:35 +0100
>>
>>Hi Lary,
>>
>>Things seem ok hear, note taking bug certainly fixed.
>>
>>Best
>>
>>-James-

FREE!

------------------------------

From: "Grant Hardy" <granthardy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Book port specs
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:19:05 -0700

Yeah I'd be interested in knowing this, myself.

From: "brandon hicks" <silverdart12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:32:06 -0600

hi,
i am going to be placing my order for the book port very very soon.
the reason i decided on the book port was because there have been many more
updates, the list is so much more active, the bp supports more filetypes,
and springer's updates generally don't happen when they are promised. Also,
the book port software has many more features than the book courier's, from
reading the manuals i'd say that the book port is generally a better
investment.
thanks
brandon

------------------------------

From: "Debbie Crafts" <debbiecrafts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Beta 27
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:09:41 -0400

Larry,
What are the time increments used to navigate unindexed files.  Love this
feature, by the way, as I can now use my card reader and save the Bookport's
batteries.  Thanks.

Debbie Crafts
Framingham, MA
debbiecrafts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: DCrafts

From: "Debbie Crafts" <debbiecrafts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] possible stability problems with latest software betas
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:38:59 -0400

Hello,
After downloading the latest betas of both the firmware and the transfer
tool, I attempted to transfer 21 mp3 files to the Bookport.  I was speeding
these up, so used the transfer software.  After transferring about 16 files,
Bookport transfer reported that it could not initialize the index file for
each of the other files to be transferred.  When exiting and relaunching BP
transfer, was informed that the device was not connected.  Unplugging and
replugging did not help.  Was about to reboot, but decided to try resetting
the device and that appeared to work, although had to relaunch Transfer
manually after reconnecting.  Just finished transferring the last five files
without any further problems, but since I haven't had similar problems
before, thought it was worth a mention.  BTW: had just changed batteries
before beginning the transfer, so do not think this is the issue.

From: "Liam Martin" <noatman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:41:24 +0000

Larry,

with Beta 26 I was given a message "Spanish unavailable." I had never heard
that before, and I thought it was deliberate - the Spanish option being
temporarily disabled. When I installed Beta 28, the Spanish option "Yes" or
"No" returned. But while I was in the Notes folder just now, the BP froze
and I had to remove the batteries. When I went to reset my options, I got
the "Spanish unavailable" message for the Spanish option. Any reason for
this?

Liam

------------------------------

From: "Debbie Crafts" <debbiecrafts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Removing Folders
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:45:37 -0400

I strongly second that thought!  Maybe with a warning and a second confirm
in the case where the folder to be deleted *does* contain files?

From: "Joni Colver" <july77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:02:08 -0500

One person who gave me advice on the subject said that APH was more actively
involved in upgrading the Book Port and that promised features appeared more
quickly in the Port than the Courier.  I have seen a lot of nice features
added since buying my Book Port.  It is also quite evident that the APH
staff solicits and considers suggestions from people on this list and many
sugggestions have been implemented into new releases.

If you know Braille one big difference now is that the Port has a Braille
keyboard option to enter search strings and when the new beta is a final
release there will be the ability to take notes using the Braille keyboard.

I have never personally seen a Courier, but I haven't regretted my Book Port
purchase a year ago for a nanosecond.

Joni

------------------------------

From: "Mike Arrigo" <n0oxy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:16:35 -0500

Actually Larry, I'm curious, you wrote some great programs for the apple,
and a great screen reader for the pc, do you know how to program at all for
those kind of imbedded processors?

------------------------------

From: "Mike Arrigo" <n0oxy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:28:59 -0500

Hi there. I actually have both, and they both have there strong points. The
book port is geared a bit more toward blind users, it provides features such
as reading by character, the ability to search for pauses in audio files,
and the ability to change the speed of audio files. The upcoming release of
the software will also allow you to write notes, assuming you know computer
Braille. The bookcourier has a few things the book port doesn't, namely a
key describe feature that will describe each key, and it does cost a bit
less, especially if you're a member of bookshare, or own the kurzweil 1000,
you can get a discount on a bookcourier this way. I do find the commands on
the courier a bit easier to memorize, this is not to say the book port's
interface is bad, just the way I learn I guess. Both units are exactly the
same size, and both use 2 aa batteries. Hope this info helps.

From: "Grant Hardy" <granthardy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:26:10 -0700

Which screen reader is that?

Actually Larry, I'm curious, you wrote some great programs for the apple,
and a great screen reader for the pc, do you know how to program at all for
those kind of imbedded processors?
> We are tight tight tight in terms of available resources for code on
> Book Port.

> Hi folks,
> Could one of you guys at APH give us some real memory indicators for
> what the Bookport can handle? I'm interested in exactly how much memory
> is available for fermware upgrades and how much of it is being taken up
> with todays beta version?
>
> Best
>
> -James-

End of bookport Digest V2 #116