[bookport] Re: Transfer software vs PC transfer of files to BookPort

  • From: "David Bennett" <david382@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:16:30 -0600

If the transfer program is open, files contained in folders will indeed be
processed by the software because you'll hear them being transferred if you've
opted to have sounds enabled.  For each file that's transferred you'll hear an
ascending series of musical notes followed by a sound rather like a cork coming
out of a bottle indicating that the file in question has reached its
destination.

Except for plain text files and MP3's, it's important that you use the
software.  It back-translates Braille files, creates navigational files, marks
phrases in spoken audio files, and a whole lot more.  Plain text files, though
they can be read, aren't subject to navigational options.  All in all, you'll
find that the Book Port's real power lies in the transfer software.  For each
file which you transfer, two additional files are created, and these additional
files are at the hub of the unit's flexibility.  Best of all, highlighting a
folder and issuing a "send to" command through Windows Explorer will, indeed
result in the folder and all of its contents being transferred.  All in all,
unless you don't mind reading very problematic text files, use that software
every time.  It will automatically open each time your Book Port is connected.