[bookport] Re: To whom it may concern.

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:04:09 -0700

        Hello Phil.  You are correct that the "easiest"way, from a support
perspective, to correct the condition you describe is to reformat your CF
card, it's not the only way to fix such problems.  I regularly run into CF
issues with the Bookport, but I haven't reformatted my CF card in months,
and I use it daily.
        What you do need to fix such problems is an external CF card reader,
and a willingness to work with the tools Windows provides for fixing
filesystems.  You also need a little knowledge of what the file system
structure the Bookport uses.
        To correct most problems with messages like:

"Application file I/O error?"

"Error accessing index file yada"

"Out of drobj structures"

and the like, without formatting my CF card, I'd suggest:

Books on the Bookport consist of 2 or 3 files, depending on whether
you've opened the book with the Bookport after you transfered it, and
whether you copied it to the Bookport with the transfer tool or not. These
files have the following extension names:  (We'll call our sample book
"book1")

Filename                Extension               Purpose
book1           _DD                     Contents of the book itself
book1           _IX                     Navigation data for the book
book1           _A                      Bookmarks for the book, including
current reading position.

        The ._AA file won't be there if you haven't tried to read a book with
the Bookport, that is, you've transfered it, but haven't tried to read it.
Similarly, the ._IX file won't be there if you copied an MP3 file with
Windows Explorer, rather than using the transfer tool.  Also, in this case, the
file you copied won't have the ._DD extension either.

        So, getting back to the problem at hand. If you get one of the error
messages listed above, it's usually associated with a particular book, and
you'll often know which book it's associated with.  With that knowledge,
you can proceed to get your Bookport back in working order without the need
to reformat your card.

1.  Put your CF card in an external reader on your Windows machine.

2.  Run scandisk against the filesystem on the CF card by selecting the
drive letter corresponding to the CF card reader.  Do not do this through
the Transfer utility's "fix disk" function.

3.  Open Windows Explorer and remove the files associated with the book
which was giving trouble.

4. Close Explorer and rerun scandisk.

5.  Continue to rerun scandisk until it shows no more errors.

        Now, you should have a working CF card, containing all but the
problematic book.  to restore the troubled book, resend it using the
transfer utility.

        This doesn't always fix everything up, but in 95% of the cases I've
encountered, this gets me going again, and I haven't had to resend my CF
load of stuff.

        Hope this helps.

-Brian