[bookport] Re: To whom it may concern.

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:10:10 -0400

Phil:

As far as your particular situation, it is difficult to know the cause of the
problem.  However, I suspect from the symptoms you are describing, perhaps the
problem is that you are putting too many files in the root folder of the card.
We have talked about this many times on this list.  The problem can occur
whenever you have files with long names in a folder, or if there are a lot of
files in the folder.  A solution would be to create 1 folder off the root and
either transfer your books into that folder, or create other folders within
that folder.  This may take a little bit of preparation and planning, so it's
not the kind of thing you'd want to do when you're heading out the door, going
on vacation.

Ordinarily, you should be able to connect back to the PC and send files,
without having to reformat the compact flash card.  However, since you haven't
been able to do that without reformatting, then we have to figure out what
behavior is causing the problem.  Then, we can fix it.  However, based on your
description, I think the problem has been addressed.

I don't know how the Book Port 2 will handle this, as we haven't begun testing
this.
Hope that helps!

Hope you had a good vacation.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> philparr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 08/26/07 10:33AM >>>
   I must say, I have derived many hours of reading pleasure from my book port.
One thing you would half to applaud is the play amplifier and it's ability to
drive a set of ear buds. With book port one is able to read in even the
noisiest environments. Also, it's unparalleled navigation is intuitive and easy
to use. Even though I was disappointed with the speech engine I am glad I
bought a book port.
   Having said all that, the book port has some little quirks that in my humble
opinion should be corrected. For instance, you are going on vacation and have
downloaded five books from audible. In your haste you miss transferring one
book to book port and go back to retrieve it. The only way to accomplish this
small task is to reformat the card and start over.
   Before you abandon your loyal trusting customers who plunked down our four
hundred  plus dollars several years ago in favor of the persons who by the book
port two I think it would behoove you to correct this imperfection. I am not
computer savvy enough to no if this glitch could be addressed in a firm wear
update or a new version of the book port transfer manager but it is really a
bitch and a boar when it happens.
   I no this message will prompt you in to action and I will be anxiously
awaiting your reply.

   Phil Parr.