[bookport] Re: Parts from Springer Design

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 07:54:08 -0500

Have you tried APH?

At 08:39 AM 5/6/2007, Peter Spitz wrote:
Has anyone else tried to get help from Springer Design? They manufactur the BP and I've ben trying for two weeks to get them to return my calls or even answer their phone! I need to replace the battery cover which is not a stocked part BP and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks for any input.

Peter
----- Original Message ----- From: "FreeLists Mailing List Manager" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 06:44:22 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: no files message

If you reformatted the flash card, then you erased any files that
were on it.  Were you perhaps in a folder that had no files in
it?  That is very easy to do.  We have all done it one time or
another.  To get out of a folder, press "star-zero".

At 09:26 PM 5/4/2007, donna brown wrote:
Good evening everyone, I just returned from a technology workshop
where I have the opportunity to do a presentation on the Book
Port.  It went well.  However, one of the Book Ports we were using
started doing strange things.  I reset the Book Port, checked the
batteries, removed the flash card, and finally reformatted the flash
card.  It kept saying no files found.  I connected the Book Port to
the PC thinking the transfer software would revive it, but no
luck.  I tried another flash card in the Book Port, and it worked
just fine.  My guess is there something is wrong with the compact
flash card.  Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could do or
what the problem might be?  Thanks.  Donna
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5/4/2007 5:49 PM

Sandy Licht

Jeremiah 29:11 - 14 A   .
11 For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are
plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me
in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. 14 I will be found by
you," says the Lord.

------------------------------

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Removing the Belt Clip
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 10:05:28 -0400

Well, it may be a "huge design flaw" to you, but the vast majority of us
don't find it a significant problem and we enter braille on the device
regularly. If your PM is still under warranty and you want to void it,
that's your right, of course, but be aware of the consequences of what
you're doing.

From: "sseric57" <sseric57@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 10:21:50 -0400

Walt, thank you for your input.

It surely could have been put in a more helpful and friendly manner, but
that would be a huge change for you.

Of all those with suggestions on how to overcome the design flaw without
removing the belt clip, I apparently am not in such a small minority to
find this a problem.

It would sure be nice if people could lighten up and discuss rather than
lecture or snipe.

Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 11:49:09 -0400
From: "Jeanette Beal" <bealjk@xxxxxxxxx>

Dave - That was the funniest serious email I think I've read so far. Kudos.
What phone are you using to write sms messages?
Jeanette

On 5/4/07, David Allen <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Don and list!

I considered adding feet but couldn't find any suitable locally. Then I
bought the case from Executive Products and find the combination of
stiffness in the case and suspension provided by the neck strap that comes
with the case add the extra stability I need for writing Braille notes. No
need to remove the belt clip that I can see. The spare tyre I built into
my
torso with the help of Speights, a popular refreshment brewed locally,
provides a reasonable platform to the bookport for taking notes whether I
am
in a meeting or a car properly seat belted.

When I need to write things like SMS or Email messages on my phone, I use
Nokia Bluetooth keyboard opened across my legs if a table isn't present. I
think that covers all the bases. *lol*

Cheers,
Dave

------------------------------

From: "sseric57" <sseric57@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 11:53:39 -0400

Jeanette, I have to agree.

I was thinking that rubber feet might be a good idea.  Since, it has been a
long time since I've been able to reach my own.

The older we get, the lower the floor gets.

 _____

Dave - That was the funniest serious email I think I've read so far. Kudos.
What phone are you using to write sms messages?
Jeanette

On 5/4/07, David Allen <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Don and list!

I considered adding feet but couldn't find any suitable locally. Then I
bought the case from Executive Products and find the combination of
stiffness in the case and suspension provided by the neck strap that comes
with the case add the extra stability I need for writing Braille notes. No
need to remove the belt clip that I can see. The spare tyre I built into my
torso with the help of Speights, a popular refreshment brewed locally,
provides a reasonable platform to the bookport for taking notes whether I
am
in a meeting or a car properly seat belted.

When I need to write things like SMS or Email messages on my phone, I use a

From: "Rick Alfaro" <rick.alfaro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 13:16:12 -0400

It seems to me that so far the nicest solution to the belt clip thing for
those that are bothered by it was the deal with a thick mouse pad.  Just
cutting out a piece of a mouse pad conforming to the shape of the belt clip
and cutting down the pad to conform to the size of the BP would make for a
really nice platform for the BP and you just use it when you need it.  The
use of 4 rubber feet is good too, but with this mouse pad solution, it isn't
permanent so you can then use the belt clip when you need to.

--Warmest regards,

--Rick Alfaro
--rick.alfaro@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: "Robert Clark" <rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 10:54:34 -0700

   What design flaw?  Usually, if there is a flaw, its the user.  Think
about it.  Name one product that you find perfect and someone else will name
flaws in its design.  There is no one size pleases all.  That said, there
are always, always work arounds that any one can put to use.  2 have been
suggested here.  Rubber feet or a case.

*---*  *---*  *---*  *---*  *---*
They say a dog is man's best friend. I don't believe that. How many of your
friends have you neutered?
Robert & Dreamer Doll (Guide Dawggie)
Newport, Oregon
N24C 3G 8/2000 Hookup
rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/

------------------------------

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 14:05:29 -0400

Yes, that was an excellent work-around and I'd sort of forgotten it.

From: "Robert Clark" <rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 11:50:57 -0700

   Well if you really want answers or solutions, you can start by adjusting
your attitude.  The current BookPort is what, 4 years old?  Why belabor the
point?

   I understand your point.  I have another device that also has a belt
clip that can be easily removed, and its not screwed on, but snaps on. Its
not near as solid as the BP's design.  As I said, find me a perfectly
designed product and someone will find a errr, flaw in it.  It is humanly
impossible to design something that will please everyone.  The BP is among
the best of its kind.  That said, certainly, it can be improved.  Is there
anything on the market that surpasses the BP?

   Your analogy of the car is fualty.  Look how many brands and models
there are.  One is sure to please someone, yet none are perfectly designed.
Impossible.

   If you had a device designed to meet your speifications, you would be
happy.  But it will have flaws ro others.  Actually, they are not flaws.
Just cannot produce anything that is will not satisfy everyone. Impossible.
That is why many products go thru revisions.

*---*  *---*  *---*  *---*  *---*
Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are
talking about.

Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 14:05:42 -0700
From: James Dean <professordean@xxxxxxxxx>

Another work around is to take the front cover of a hardback book, and clip
the BP to it just like you would clip it to the wasteband of your pants.
Thus, it has a hard surface to sit on while you write your notes.

HTH,,

James in TN

Live Journal: http://silent_v.livejournal.com

I am who I have become, and damn proud of it!

Contact me in one of the ways below:

MSN/Windows Messenger: jamesdean504@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo ID/Ham Radio Callsign: KG4RDF

Skype: semajd

From: "Joni Colver" <earlybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 17:33:50 -0400

The Braille keyboard input option was added after the BP was introduced. I
think finding a way to deal with the minor annoyance of the belt clip being
there is worth the added functionality of the Braille keyboard. Personally
I like the idea of attaching the rubber feet.

Joni

------------------------------

From: "sseric57" <sseric57@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 18:33:58 -0400

Joni, thanks.  I certainly agree the money spent on the BP was the best
I've parted with in a long long time.  It's value is far more than the cost
of any little things we might like to have seen done differently.  I really
only meant to clarify something before I made a change to fit my
preference.  All the adaptations are good ideas, too.

The best!

From: "James Jolley" <james.jolley1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] What do I send to leave this list?
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 02:12:14 +0100

Hi folks,

I am moving house and need to leave the list to avoid overloading the email
inbox. Wich address shall I send to leave?

Best

-James-

------------------------------

From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 13:33:27 +1200

Hi Rick and list:

The mouse pad idea is a good one and probably cheaper than the case. I like
the portability aspect that adds.

Cheers,
Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Alfaro" <rick.alfaro@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 18:34:00 -0700
From: "Lois Goodine" <al419@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: What do I send to leave this list?

   Send a blank message to
bookport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

and in the subject line write unsubscribe.  Shortly you will receive an
automated reply asking you to reply to confirm your request.

Hope this helps.
Lois Goodine.

------------------------------

From: "Grant Hardy" <grant_hardy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 21:17:24 -0700

Oh, totally agree.  I cannot enter Braille onto the BP with it positioned on
a tabletop; the belt clip allows for too much "rocking" motion with the BP.
It's not necessarily that the belt clip is a massive design flaw, although I
believe it's too weak and needs a couple rubber feet in the middle of that
area or something.  The mousepad idea is a good one, you could probably even
glue it overtop of the belt clip.

Grant

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:34 AM