[bookport] Re: Opinion

  • From: "Sarah Cranston" <cranston.sarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:22:10 -0600

I got my BookPort almost two years ago and have had no problem with the =
clips.  I don't know why this is, I'll just have to knock on wood.  =
<Grin>
I use standard alkali batteries, which I can buy for 4 for $1.  It's a =
good enough price that I haven't considered rechargeables.

From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Clips or Springs
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:28:57 -0500

Good morning folks.

I purchased my first BookPort unit just over one year ago. As I replaced

batteries, long-life alkaline in this case, the snug fit I originally
had=20
gradually changed, sufficiently so that I lost connectivity, both during

installation of new batteries and during actual reading. Although
concerned=20
about the fragility of the clips, I bent one slightly to provide a
better=20
connection. Again, with time, that clip returned to its old position,=20
requiring another adjustment. The clip, as I feared, broke off at its
base.=20
We had to perform some rather difficult surgery in our lab to rebuild
the=20
connector.

While springs do have their problems, I would strongly suggest that they
be=20
used in future releases of the hardware to avoid the problem that I had.
As=20
a poor work around solution, I have begun to use lithium batteries
because=20
of their very long life, thus requiring fewer replacements and less
stress=20
on the clips.

If others are experiencing the loose battery problem that I had, I would

suggest making a small square, about a centimeter in width and 3
millimeters=20
thick, made from aluminum foil, to be inserted between the negative pole
of=20
the loose battery and the clip. Although a nuisance, this solution will
be=20
better than trying to work with a broken clip.

Jerry=20