[bookport] One disappearing channel

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 00:03:55 +1200

Hi list:

Having already sent my bookport to APH for repair, I don't want to repeat the
experience if I can help it. For the benefit of anyone who hasn't done this, it
means one is without their unit for a period of several weeks, though granted,
you are warned properly about that before you opt to send it in.

I sent mine in when I kept noticing one channel would disappear. When it came
back to me, I noticed immediately (within five minutes) that my unit was
behaving just as it did before it left. That is, one channel would disappear. I
could wiggle it a bit and get that channel back, and it would stay so long as I
kept the unit absolutely still and so long as I pushed no buttons. Either
action could cause that channel to disappear again.

I contacted Pamela Rader at APH a day or two later to enquire if there had been
any kind of report detailing what work had been done on my unit. I asked about
this both because I did not consider my unit to have been repaired and because
no details were provided on the payment invoice. She explained to me that there
was no detailed record of exactly what work was done when units were sent for
repair. They would be returned to her to be checked, then returned to the
customer if her examination found the unit to function satisfactorly. She also
said that my unit had passed her tests, which is why it was returned to me.

Recently, some additional testing has revealed that I can rehabilitate the
missing channel by applying a slight amount of pressure to the card. Even
though I can do this easily, I only have to press a button and one channel is
lost. I can reproduce this behaviour on any of several cards that I have. I've
also tested both the external speakers and headphones that I regularly use with
the book port with a variety of other devices and can find no connection
problems with the TDK ImaSpeaker or the headphones. Clearly, the problem lies
in the book port.   Should I send it back again? Since it obviously wasn't
repaired in the first instance, would this help? I'm sure anyone that has one
understands being reluctant to have to do without my bookport. But isn't doing
without it for so long the first time enough? Am I asking too much from APH or
Springer Design that a repair that is paid for not be done? Should I send it
back again, is there any possibility that I might have a shorter wait in
consideration of the fact that this repair should have been correctly completed
the first time? These are the questions that clearly bother me more now than a
book port that doesn't reliably deliver both channels. That's why I'm now
writing about it here rather than trying to enjoy more material on my book
port. Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
Dave