[bookport] Non Working Examples was Re: Re: How does Book Port detect the start of a new article in magazines?

  • From: "Roy Pfeiffer" <r.pfeiffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Book Port List" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:45:17 -0400

Requesting List help on this problem originally addressed to Chris Hill.
Chris, thanks for your response; however, I'm still doing something very
wrong. An example of what I'm trying appears below - an example of what doesn't work. Do you have time to provide an example of what does work?

I am testing my technique by preparing something in Word 2000, then queuing up this .doc file for transfer to Book Port. My first understanding of what was found under Options led me to try using 5 underline characters for the chapter markers and _@_ (the at sign flanked by underline characters) for the sub section markers. And when that was not a complete success, I tried using the underline attribute of Word, thinking that might be better; it was worse.

Reflecting on all of my uncertainties:

1. How does one designate one type of marker as the section marker and the other as the sub section marker?

2. Does one place the marker on an otherwise blank line before the heading to be marked or on the same line as the heading? And related to this, does it matter whether there are spaces or blank lines around the heading being marked?

3. What does the book transfer program strip from the .doc file of Word? Or perhaps a better question is whether Book Transfer makes use of anything in Word other than the readable text found there?

Don't bother with the questions if you have an example of what works. The following has been cut and pasted from a .doc file to give you some idea of what my last trial looked like. It resulted in the identification of only one sub section marker and that has been so identified below:

Chapter 1

This is a short amount of text following chapter 1 where the first 5 characters of the word chapter have been underlined as a section marker. There is no blank line between this heading and the text which follows. Likewise, there is no blank line between the text of chapter 1 and the heading of chapter 2.

    Chapter2

This is the text under chapter 2. In this case, 5 underlined spaces immediately preceding chapter were used to mark the section heading. Unlike chapter 1, a blank line has been left between the chapter 2 heading and this text as well as a blank line between the end of this paragraph and chapter 3, the next section heading.

    Chapter3

Here begins some text immediately following the chapter 3 heading. It is followed by 3 sub section markers, none with text; and with only sub sec 2 followed by a blank line.

@ Sub sec 1

@  Sub sec 2

@ Subsec3

    Chapter 4

    Chapter 5

Chapter 6

    Chapter 7

@

Sub sec1 chapter 7

@

Sub sec 2 chapter 7

===

Sub sec 3 chapter 7

qq

(This is the one!)     Sub sec4  chapter 7

Chapter 8

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hill" <hillco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>