[bookport] Re: New to list

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:50:03 -0600

I have used the Bookport for the Audible books. And it is true they use only
format 4.  I hever had any problem using the bookport for them.  But these
days I now opt to use the Bookport for the Daisy files and other e text
formats.  I have found that the Creative Muvo Mix 512 MB is so convenient
and pretty cheap now.  Just bought 1 for forty dollars last week.  And it
plays Audible format 2 or 3.  Format 2 is not great audio for music, but for
spoken word, I really like it because it takes much less space and also
downloads and transfers very quickly.  The Muvo Mix does not have any LCD
displays so you don't have to wonder how to navigate it.  It just moves
forward or backward through the files on the unit, or you can rewind and
fast forward the file, though that is not so hugely convenient if it is a
large file like you have in Audible books.   The Muvo takes a single AAA
battery, which lasts pretty good while.

I also like to use this as it is so small and I can use it and not worry
about banging around my Bookport when I want to work out, etc.   Not that
the Bookport has proven fragile at all.  But the replacement cost sure
factors in for me when I think about it.  I also like to use it because that
way I don't drain the Bookport battery playing audio files as much.

Hope this bit of stuff was useful to some on the list, and especially to
you, Christine.  Congratulations on getting a Bookport, and welcome to the
list.  I think the Bookport is probably the best piece of special technology
I have bought in quite a number of years.  It has really got me into
gathering and reading a lot of material quickly.  The availability of
printed text now is phenomenal!  There is way more to read than I can get
done in a day.  Unless of course I ignore all the necessary chores that
don't involve the Bookport!  <g>

Rik