[bookport] Re: Mark setting in MP3 files

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:10:29 -0400

Angie:

You are exactly right. Marks are set on a navigation unit boundary.
Dave, this explains the problem.

Rob Meredith

>>> Angie@xxxxxxxxxx 07/21/06 02:49AM >>>
Hi Dave,

I too have been absent for a while, and yours is the first message I'm
seeing now that I've decided to try to read the list
again! I think that if you do not send these files to the Book Port as
music, you will continue to experience problems with
the bookmarks. If you don't send audio files as music, the BP transfer
software tries to analyze the files for pauses,
which it takes to be the beginnings and ends of sentences, paragraphs,
and pages. Someone can correct me if I'm
wrong, but my understanding is that when you make a bookmark in an
audio file that has not been sent as music, the
mark is placed at the beginning of the first "unit" that the transfer
software has created by analyzing the files for pauses.
I'd try sending one as music to see if this gives the results you
want--it always works for me. Also, you will find that it will
take much less time to send audio files to the BP if you send them as
music.

Hope this helps,

Angie

--Original Message Text---
From: David Allen
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:42:10 +1200

Hello list:

I've been absent for a while and regret that it has been something
bothersome that has been the
main drive to get me back.

I was trying to set some marks in an MP3 file that is a radio show.
When I tried setting them, I
found consistantly that the places that were marked lagged the place I
intended marked by
several seconds. In fact, I validated one case where the mark was 18
seconds before where I had
intended. According to the manual on my unit, file type makes no
different in how marks are
treated. Admittedly, I have not checked the send file as music check
box in the Bookport transfer
options. Would this cause marks to be set where I want them? I set a
mark in a text file (actually
in the manual), and found that worked exactly as the manual advises.

Any help on resolving this or correcting my understanding of it would
be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave