[bookport] Re: Magazines--RE: Re: posting suggestions

  • From: Will Smith <wilsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:41:37 -0400 (EDT)

Update on offered daily and weekly titles:

Please excuse the multiple copies of this notice some of you will get if
you are on several of my distribution lists.  I plan to send along an
advisory several times a year to let all know what publications are
offered and to invite readers to add, drop or sample any titles listed
here.

The newest compilation is the weekly New Yorker, which will be posted on
Mondays primarily.  Each week around 200 to 250k of text will be
available based  on the current practices of the New Yorker staff,
probably about 40 to 50 percent of the editorial content.
In addition to New Yorker I compile and distribute to blind readers free
of charge these titles:

Daily:

The New York Times (runs 250 to 350k usually)
The Washington Post (same size to slightly larger)

Weekly:

Tuesdays: Science Times and Health News (105 to 125k)
Thursdays: Tech Update from the N Y Times and W Post
Fridays: Slate, the Online magazine of News and Ideas (runs 350 to 425k)
Saturdays:U S News and World Report (runs 160 to 200k usually)
Sunday  magazines ( N Y Times and W Post papers; runs 275 to 320k)
Sundays: Book World (runs 120 to 135k)
Why subscribe to these texts when it's likely you won't have time to
read them all the way through?  For the same reasons that sighted people
subscribe to print newspapers and magazines with dozens of pages they'll
never read, but just skim over.  You get to choose to read  only those
news stories and articles that interest you.  All items begin with this
search term:

"_next article"

and you can simply read the headline and first few sentences of each
item to see if you wish to jump forward to the next article or setle
back and get the full story.  So while a compilation can have dozens of
articles you might choose to briefly note the headlines and opening
paragraph of most items and read fully that 10 or 12 items of special
interest to you.

The best way to find out aboutthese titles is to try a sample run of an
issue or two, then cancel if you wish.
Happy reading,

Will
wilsmith@xxxxxxxxx