[bookport] ID Mate CF card

  • From: "Peter Spitz" <peterspitz101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 08:06:18 -0700

I have both the BP and ID Mate. You cannot swap them back and forth without a reformat but you will not need more than one CF card for your ID Mate unless you plan on saving over a million barcodes! It comes with a card fully loaded and it would take an awful lot of additional barcodes to need another card. They will fit in either machine but like I said, you would need to reformat.

bookport Digest Sat, 03 Mar 2007 Volume: 04  Issue: 062

In This Issue:
[bookport] Re: Labeling and Storing Flash Cards for the Book
[bookport] Re: Labeling and Storing Flash Cards for the  Boo
[bookport] Re: Belt clip solution...
[bookport] I'm confused
[bookport] Re: I'm confused
[bookport] Re: bookport and case
[bookport] Re: I tried to kill my Bookport
[bookport] Re: Chocolate and the Bookport
[bookport] Re: bookport and case
[bookport] Re: bookport and case
[bookport] Re: I tried to kill my Bookport
[bookport] Re: Labeling and Storing Flash Cards for the Book
[bookport] Re: I tried to kill my Bookport
[bookport] Re: bookport and case
[bookport] Re: what"s that?
[bookport] Re: Belt clip solution...
[bookport] Re: bookport and case
[bookport] Re: obviously not
[bookport] I'm confused
[bookport] Re: I'm confused
[bookport] Re: I'm confused
[bookport] Re: I'm confused
[bookport] Re: Labeling and Storing Flash Cards for the Book
[bookport] Re: Labeling and Storing Flash Cards for the Book
[bookport] Re: Labeling and Storing Flash Cards for the Book
[bookport] Re: I'm confused
[bookport] Re: I'm confused
[bookport] Re: Labeling and Storing Flash Cards for the Book
[bookport] Re: bookport and case
[bookport] Re: I'm confused
[bookport] Re: bookport and case
[bookport] Re: I tried to kill my Bookport
[bookport] Re: I'm confused
[bookport] The difference between indexed and unindexed MP3
[bookport] Re: Labeling and Storing Flash Cards for the Book

From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Labeling and Storing Flash Cards for the Bookport
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 00:08:44 +1300

Hi Crystal and list:

You can add me to that list of satisfied customers of www.inanycase.com/

It has been a couple years since we ordered from them, but I, too can verify
that they give very good service. Their international shipping wasn't as
pocket pinching as some places, which was indeed quite welcome.

Cheers,
Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Crystal French" <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 00:50:56 +1300

Obviously, a topic for another list other than this one.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sandy Licht" <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:39:41 -0500
From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Belt clip solution...

Sorry, no case.

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] I'm confused
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:52:36 -0500

Which probably isn't news to some people. Anyhow, I have an MP3 file that's 839 meg (880,398,964 bytes) in size. However, when I tell Bookport Transfer
to send it to my bp which has 1.9 gig free on the card, I receive this
message:

FFMP3
The source file is too large.
The file will be truncated at 4GB.
OK

What's going on?

--
Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL
walt@xxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: I'm confused
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:25:59 -0500

Why on earth would we use the transfer program to transfer an 800 and some
meg mp3 file to the book port? Just copy the file to the card. The mp3 file
probably is saved as a wav and then reencoded which explains the 4 gigs.

------------------------------

From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: bookport and case
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:29:32 -0700

but it wobbles so badly.  Any ideas on how to make it stable?
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: I tried to kill my Bookport
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:35:17 -0700

   No doubt Book Portt Services, a division of Family Services, will take
it from you and place it in foster-care where it will be put in a box with
lots of other poor abbused book ports, and starved, shaken, and taught only
to read politically correct books.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Ring" <richard.ring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Chocolate and the Bookport
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:38:51 -0700

I'm so glad you found to make this post on topic.
----- Original Message ----- From: DanFlasar@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:40:18 -0600
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mine doesn't wobble while it is in the case.

but it wobbles so badly.  Any ideas on how to make it stable?
> I don't even notice the belt clip is there and I use the note taker > quite
> lot. Was listening to the radio yesterday while doing some waiting in > the > car. Heard ads for three places that I thought I might need to contact > in > the future. In each case, I just added the information to my notes > file.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

3/3/2007 8:12 AM

From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:53:29 -0700

you've about talked me into buying the case. It wasn't available when I got my BP. I bought a commercial camera case. It has the advantage of holding my earbuds, an extra flashcard in case and a couple of batteries. Still...
(Thinking, thinking.)  Maybe should wate for the new one.  This summer???
It will probably have different dimentions.
And no.  I don't know any more about the new one than the rest of you.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sandy Licht" <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
If you have the case, just fold the front flap back to expose the
keys, and Velcro it into place.  The flap covers a multitude of belt clip
sins.

From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:00:52 -0700

sounds like we'd better turn this into a chain letter, you know the kind.
IF you don't send this on to at least 400 of your friends, you will have thirty seconds of horrriffic techno-disasters.
For legal purposes, THIS IS NOT A CHAIN LETTER!
----- Original Message ----- From: Woody Anna Dresner
From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:09:17 -0700

The book Port card doesn't come with one, but when you buy a card, it
usually comes in a little plastic case.  I switch between so that one card
is always in the case.  I don't know whether you can buy empty cases, like
you can for CD's  If you have a case for each card, label the case; of
course you can only take out one card at a time, but how many cards can
dance in your Book Port at once. (Grin). I don't know about folders.
I hope you do get a bookport.  Might as well keep saving for the new one.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sister Margaret Mary" <music@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:15:57 -0700

I bet I know what it was.  After you used a tape several times, you got
gremlen gabble instead of sense.  Some tapes were really stable, but
others...
I, for one, wouldn't do without my braille lite M-20, but if Book Port had a
few more word processing features, well...
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Toews" <dogriver@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:17:18 -0600
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Pamela did say the case would fit the new BP.  The case is
wonderful!  I've had mine for over a year, and I don't regret buying it.

From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: what"s that?
From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:43:55 -0500

Which is also a fine solution as long as you don't decide one day you want
to get the case from Executive Products! <g>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:46:10 -0500

There have been several solutions posted that would eliminate this.
Personally, I really like the mouse pad with the cutout in it...that's
really a great idea, since it both eliminates the wobble _and_ provides a
relatively skid-free environment for entering data using the keypad.

----- Original Message ----- From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: obviously not
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:50:38 -0700

Aren't we being particular!  the id Mate was mentioned as part of a Book
Port question.  Naturally, readers might want to know what it was.
Following up with a lot of info and questions about it would be different
thing, but just asking?  Come on.
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Obviously, a topic for another list other than this one.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sandy Licht" <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>I just located the user's manual for the ID Mate online and it states
that
>>it uses a CompactFlash card that is specifically formatted for the ID
>>Mate,
>>so the answer is that it uses the same kind of card (Type I
CompactFlash)
>>as
>>the Book Port. However, you apparently can't format new cards for the >>ID
>>Mate in a card reader that's attached to your computer. Most card
readers
>>attach by way of a USB cable to one of the USB ports on your computer,
>>although there are a few somewhat more expensive versions that will
>>actually
>>install into the front panel of a computer just like a floppy or CD
drive.

Bookport

------------------------------

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:54:14 -0500

Which probably isn't news to some people. Anyhow, I have an MP3 file that's 839 meg (880,398,964 bytes) in size. However, when I tell Bookport Transfer
to send it to my bp which has 1.9 gig free on the card, I receive this
message:

FFMP3
The source file is too large.
The file will be truncated at 4GB.
OK

What's going on? I had just reformatted the card in the BP, too. The entire
file does seem to have been transferred, so I haven't a clue what this
message meant.

--
Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL
walt@xxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:55:11 -0700

don't understand the difference
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:59:43 -0500

The difference is that if you simply copy it, it won't be indexed. MP3 files
are the one file format that can be copied directly to the CF card and
played on the BP without having to be run through the transfer program if
the user opts to do so.

Since I _was_ using the transfer program, I'd like to know what the error
meant. I didn't ask in order to have my motives or actions questioned.

----- Original Message ----- From: "lana" <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 15:18:29 -0500

Well, not sure about anyone's motives but I was just passing on information.
Not sure if my bookport is special or what but when I copy mp3 files
directly I can navigate the file just fine, and the unit remembers where I
am in the file and I can use the power move commands to get to any point
within the file. Unless you want to change the speed of a file or compress
speech or whatever, then using the transfer program for mp3's is a waste of
time, especially if you consider how slow transfer speeds are through the
book port. In my humble opinion, anyone who buys a bookport should also buy a card reader at the same time. The book port is not a good substitute for a
$20 card reader! If I can help further, don't hesitate to ask!

------------------------------

From: <ljmaher@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 16:05:16 -0600

Store the cards in small envelopes, and label the envelopes.  You will not
need many cards for each card can hold so much material.  Just create
directories on each card for sorting purposes.

Regards
Louis Maher

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:11:21 -0500
From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I know this is controversial and some will disagree, but I have had good
luck using dymo tape directly on the cards.  Proceed at your own risk.

From: "Otto Zamora" <donttreadonme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 18:15:54 -0500

Hello,

You can certainly put tape on the cases the cards come with.

Otto

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:18:51 -0500
From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I know that initially there was a 256 mb limit to the size of mp3 files
which could be transferred via the transfer software; I don't know if that's
been changed in newer versions of the software.
Don

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 17:19:42 -0600
From: William Stephan <wstephan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yeah, that's the way I handle MP3s, and I get the same results.

From: "Francis E. Khan" <fekhan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:20:35 -0400

I would use the dymo tape on the flashcard case or pieces of
an adhesive label.

From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:20:53 +1300

Hi Lana and list:

Yes, it used to. Do you have the case? I just keep my book port in it's
case. The little spare tyre I grew offers a suitable table while the case is
suspended on the neck strap that comes with the case. I had thought of
trying rubber feet as Don uses, but could not find suitable feet here, then
got the case and discovered I no longer had the problem.

------------------------------

From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 13:01:12 +1300

Hi Lana and list:

I believe someone pointed out on this list that there is a difference. If
you want a *holder for your book port, a digital camera case is cheaper and will certainly keep the book port dry and avoid some damage. If you actually
want a case for your book port, you get the one made by Executive products
because it is specifically designed to function with the book port, not just
hold it. It is pricy, but you get what you pay for. You will not have room
to include the kitchen sink in the book port case made by Executive
Products, but you will have a tight fitting form fitted case surrounding
your book port and your choice of wrist or shoulder straps or a solid
covered belt clip for carying. The combination of the shoulder strap and
lining of the case does seem to reduce if not eliminate the wobbly problem
of using the Braille keyboard. As Peter pointed out, if he had the case, he
wouldn't have lost his battery cover because the case keeps the book port
completely enclosed. There is a cut out for the keyboard that can be cover
with the flap when you don't want the keys exposed. No digital camera case
can offer that degree of flexibile functionality for the book port because
they aren't designed for that purpose. I could not conceptualise the case
before I had it in hand. If you have a similar problem, feel free to contact
me off list. I'd be happy to give you a call to discuss it in greater
detail.

From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 13:10:12 +1300

Hi Lana and list:

I am curious. What word processing features would you want the book port to
have? I know it can't handle anything real complex, but it is pretty
powerful just the same. The only thing that I haven't managed to do that I
wanted was write a page break directly into a note file, so I acknowledge
that it has limitations.

From: "Karl Smith" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:38:49 -0700

It has definitely been changed.

Karl

____________________

Karl Smith
Access Technology Specialist
Axis
4304 South El Camino St.
Taylorsville, Utah 84119

Phone:  866-824-7885
Fax:    866-824-7885
E-mail: karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx

No one will ever go broke underestimating the intelligence of the human
race.

  - H. L. Menkin

http://www.eset.com

------------------------------

From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] The difference between indexed and unindexed MP3 files
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 13:53:14 +1300

Hi list:

This question was asked. Here is the answer taken from the book port manual,
Appendix B, Frequently asked questions.

What is the Difference Between Indexed and Unindexed MP3 Files

When you use Book Port Transfer to send an audio file to Book Port, the
software looks through the file and assigns index markers to help with
navigation
once that file is on the Book Port. If you have the Send Audio Files as
Music checkbox checked in the General tab of the Options dialog, the
software assigns
index markers at the 2 second, 10 second, 30 second, and 60 second places.
This means the Next Sentence key moves to the next 2 second index, the Next Paragraph command moves to the next 10 second marker, the Next Page command
moves to the next 30 second marker, and the Next Sub-section command moves
to the next 60 second marker.

If you do not have the Send Audio as Music box checked, the software looks
through the file and assigns the markers based on the length of the pause
between
phrases in the narration.

If you just copy an mp3 file to the device without using the Book Port
Transfer software, there are no index markers assigned. This is called an
unindexed
mp3 file. Such files move ahead or backward by time when the navigation
commands are used. The movement values are two seconds, 10 seconds, 30
seconds,
and 60 seconds with the same commands that you use with indexed audio files.

This ends the exerpt from the manual. I believe having the file indexed and
checking the send audio as music check box provides more flexibility in
navigation because I don't have to adjust the audio seek time setting in the
book port's settings keypad to achieve the navigation I want, but your
mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Dave

------------------------------

From: "Bronwyn Tindall" <btindall@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 17:17:10 +1300

i did get a case for flash cards it is soild plastic and holds four
cards.don't have the link as my father orders from flash cards an australian
site on my behalf.

bronwyn

You can certainly put tape on the cases the cards come with.

Otto

I know this is controversial and some will disagree, but I have had good
luck using dymo tape directly on the cards.  Proceed at your own risk.

I am still hoping to own a Bookport.  I want to ask as many questions as
possible, so when my dream can become a reality, I will have tips under my
belt.

How do you label flash cards? If the cards have Braille labels (dymo tape)
on them, do the labels interfere with sliding the card into the Bookport
slot?  What would you suggest?  How do you store a collection of memeory
cards?  Is there such a thing as "CD wallet" for memory cards?

God bless you all,
Sister Margaret Mary

End of bookport Digest V4 #62