[bookport] Re: Files in the Cue

  • From: Peter Rand <peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:40:16 +0200

Hi Debbie,

> Once I have placed files in the cue for transferring to Bookport, are they still required in their current location? In other words, does the software read from the current place or is it safe to delete them from there.

As far as I can tell, whenever you highlight a file in Windows Explorer and use the "Send to Book Port" option, a copy of this file is placed in the directory "Bookport Pending". Once the file is successfully transferred to the Book Port, the copy in the "Bookport Pending" directory is automatically deleted, and the original file is not affected.

Instead of using the "Send to Book Port" option and then manually deleting files afterwards, I just cut & paste the files I want transferred directly into the "Bookport Pending" directory (generally newspaper articles that I don't need to save on my computer), and then let Book Port Transfer delete them automatically after a successful transfer.

So the answer to your question is, once files are in the transfer queue it should theoretically be safe to delete them, since copies should be kept in the "Bookport Pending" directory until the transfer is effected.

I've never "lost" items that were in the queue, although I suppose it could happen if there were some kind of a glitch, so you might want to keep copies of important files until you are confident that the files have been successfully transferred to the Book Port.

Peter

Debbie Gillespie wrote:

My question is a simple one I'm sure. Once I have placed files in the cue for transferring to Bookport, are they still required in their current location? In other words, does the software read from the current place or is it safe to delete them from there.