[bookport] Re: Disconnecting Book Port

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:22:34 -0400

Here are the rules for disconnecting Book Port:

1. Always wait for the transfer to complete.

2. Under Windows XP, you can disconnect just after the transfer completes.

3. Under Windows ME and 2000, you should wait about 30 seconds after the =
transfer completes before disconnecting. This is because some of the data =
may be cached, and it is still being sent to the Book Port.

4. Don't worry about the Unsafe Removal dialog; just hit Escape and go on. =
There is no way we know of to get rid of it.

Rob Meredith

>>> jenorton@xxxxxxxxxxx 08/11/04 01:49AM >>>
Hi listers:

When I'm running Book Port with Windows ME, and unplug the Book Port from
the computer, Windows complains if I do not actually go to the system tray
and "stop" the device.  However, when running Windows XP, I seem to be
able to disconnect the Book Port without any complaints.  Is it ever safe
to ignore the error message from Windows ME?  Also, should I "stop" the
Book Port when running Windows XP, even though XP does not complain?

Thanks!