[bookport] Re: BookPort Audio Memo Quality

  • From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:08:59 -0600 (CST)

I was able to interview some of my nieces and nephews for my radio show with the BP and, through filtering, make the interviews marginally broadcastable, but I agree, recording is not the BP's strong point.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Gary Wunder wrote:

Hi Don. Memo recording is, in my opinion, the weakest feature of the unit. In all other respects it shines and is a wonderful investment, but my audio, whether I've tried to record little memos or lectures, is uniformly bad.

Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don (Tex)" <dbomer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:52 PM Subject: [bookport] BookPort Audio Memo Quality

 Greetings,

 I am sighted but joined the list in order to learn more about the Book
 Port that I just bought for my wife.

 I am very pleased with the Book Port except for one minor thing.  Recorded
 Audio Memos are very muffled due to lack of medium and high frequency
 response.

 I see in the Book Port Manual that the microphone is apparently in the
 front upper right-hand corner as evidenced by three small holes, just
 right of center above the "3" key and about a half-key diameter above the
 inside lip.

 These holes are not present on my wife's Book Port.  There are no holes on
 the front of the Book Port case other than for the 18 function keys.  The
 only other holes in the unit are for the USB connector, headset plug and
 one tiny (pin-size) hole in the vicinity of where the microphone should
 be.

 I don't know if this is an intentional design change or an oversight in
 manufacturing. But recorded audio should theoretically sound much better
 if there was more venting of the microphone.

 Do others have the same problem with muffled audio memos?  Do you have the
 three holes on the front of the case on your Book Port?

 Regards,

 Don Bomer