[bookport] Behavior of New Beta Firmware

  • From: "Jeremiah Z. Rogers" <jzr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bookport@Freelists. Org" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:00:13 -0500

I'm running firmware 1.2.0.13 and have noticed the following behavior.

I've downloaded John Grisham's novel The Chamber, NLS Catalog No. 09542, and
available in five volumes at the following urls.

http://www.loc.gov/nls/braille/09542v01.brf
http://www.loc.gov/nls/braille/09542v02.brf
http://www.loc.gov/nls/braille/09542v03.brf
http://www.loc.gov/nls/braille/09542v04.brf
http://www.loc.gov/nls/braille/09542v05.brf

I transferred all five volumes to the unit after updating the firmware,
disconnecting, and reconnecting the unit to the PC. The unit read up through
page eleven of the book, through the word gasoline, and then started reading
sporadically and unpredictably. Character-by-character moving through the
file at that point revealed a control+d character after the word gasoline
and before the opening quotation mark at the beginning of the next sentence.
I reloaded the first volume of the book and preceeded to read through it
uneventfully. However, upon trying to start the second volume of the book, I
found the Book Port reading the same block of unintelligible text as it had
read before. I've reformatted the card, which is a 512M Sandisk, and have
again downloaded and loaded all five volumes of the book. When I downloaded
and transferred the files the first time from Web Braille, I was still using
transfer tool 1.60.66 Beta, but am now running .68 beta for the second
transfer. I'll work more to duplicate the events, but have written here in
hopes that something I've presented would jog a thought somewhere in
Kentucky.

Also, in the editor, the backspace and delete functions still don't speak
when the unit is set to not echo keystrokes. Are their plans to alter this
behavior?

Jeremiah Z. Rogers
3224 Edsel Place
Charlotte, NC 28205