[bookport] Re: A Thanksgiving message

  • From: "Dale Lieser" <drlieser@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:24:42 -0600

Here, here, David.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Bennett" <david382@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:32 PM
Subject: [bookport] A Thanksgiving message

Hi, friends,

Realizing that we've each come to this list from a perspective which is uniquely our own, I'd like to share a small portion of mine.

Back in the fifties when I embarked upon my lifelong journey with books, most of us had to contend with bulky old Braille titles and heavy, clunky Talking Book machines which played at thirty-three and a third RPM. I'm sure the school library which I patroled almost daily with such a sense of wonder and excitement housed no more than perhaps a thousand Braille volumes and a few hundred recorded books. It's all we had, though, and those of us who loved to read were thankful and could hardly imagine a better system.

But history didn't stop there. Braille graphics became better, and the twelve-inch records got whittled down to ten-inch ones which played at sixteen and two-thirds RPM. What was the world coming to? "This is as good as it gets," we told ourselves and each other.

Suddenly, though, my regional library sent me all the then-popular James Herriot books on smallish disks which played at eight and one-third RPM. It takes me awhile to absorb change, but as I laughed my way through "All Creatures Great And Small," I was sure we'd reached a pinnacle of lasting success, technologically speaking.

We all know the rest of the story. Hardly a one of us cannot recount the individual advancements and even the year in which they took place. Many, many devices have come our way, and with the passage of time they're becoming smaller and better. In my estimation, Book Port is one of the best tools around, and its actual worth is easily double the amount of money which we are required to pay for it.

With a few exceptions, I don't know who or what you all thank for the good things which have come your way, but I personally feel quite certain that some Higher Power guides the hands and intellect of those who invent, create, and market wonderful devices like the Book Port, and for me it seems like a good idea to stop now and then to say "Thank You."

You may not choose to respond to this message due to the volume of traffic which is already out here, and that's fine. However, within the privacy of your own minds I hope some few of you may be saying "Thank You," to some one, somewhere out there.

David Bennett

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.7/180 - Release Date: 11/23/2005