[blindza] On dog days of summer, pups scream for ice cream

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:10:46 +0200

Even though it's winter here at the moment, I thought this was a really nice article

Jacob
---
On dog days of summer, pups scream for ice cream

By AMY FARNSWORTH

Company has plans to develop braille packaging for owners of seeing eye dogs

On a hot Saturday afternoon, Jeff Walker sits in his ice cream truck, watching the bustle of Newbury Street. Some people approach him, pulling out their wallets in search of a treat, but they soon discover this truck is for another clientele.

"We sell doggie ice cream!" Walker says, offering a passerby with a pooch a free sample of the sugar- and dairy-free vanilla Frost Bite Doggie Ice Cream.

For two years, Walker has been driving around New England in a renovated 1970s ice cream truck, serving flavors such as jalapeno peppers and cheese, and
Heath Bone Crunch.

As cofounder and headmaster of Dog Day Afternoons Country Day Prep, Walker decided to take his ice cream to the streets after serving to dogs at the school. The dogs taste-tested the hand-packed, natural flavors and lapped up toppings like blueberries, cream cheese (an alternative to whipped cream), and carob
(instead of chocolate).

The business now has four other ice cream trucks, and churns out an estimated 500 gallons of doggie ice cream every week, says Walker, shipping customized ice cream with blend-ins such as herbs or medicine to pet owners across the country.

The company has plans to develop braille packaging for owners of seeing eye dogs, and Walker has been taking braille classes. "A blind or low-vision person has to have someone explain what the product is. I think that's unfair," he says. "We're trying to make everything accessible to everyone."

Before the truck heads for its next stop, Boston Common, a French Bulldog named Tyson and three Yorkshire Terriers stop by the truck for a sample, licking
their chops over a cool sidewalk treat.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/06/24/on_dog_days_of_summer_pups_scream_for_ice_cream/

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za