[blindwoodworker] Re: Turning symposium

  • From: "Tom Hodges" <tomhodges@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:57:24 -0500

Okay you guys, I just have to tell you my wood turning story.

I was in high school wood working class.  (Many years ago)

I was making a lamp.  I glued five boards together that were three quarter
inches by five and a half inches by 18 inches long.  All together this made
a pretty sizable hunk of wood.  I pretty much had all the corners turned
off, when a friend of mine asked if he could try it.  So he went to work on
it for a few minutes and another guy came buy and flipped the speed control
knob to very high.  The  hunk of wood came off, with a very loud Popping
sound, and hit the tool rest, split in half and one half of it hit him on
the chin.

I was standing behind him and he fell backwards.  I caught him and lowered
him to the floor.  He was out like a lightbulb.  I mean he was totally out
cold.

They took him to the coach's office an woke him up with those ammonia
capsules.  He told me later that he woke up in the coaches office and had no
idea why he was in there.

Believe it or not, I glued and clamped the hunk of wood back together and
finished making the lamp.  I used maple, walnut and cherry wood and it was
too expensive to throw away.

I still had the lamp until a few years ago when my daughter wanted it
because she said it looks very nostalgic.  The split in it can be seen very
easily.

The guy who turned up the speed was kicked out of the wood working class and
guess what he does today.  He's the only one in the class that became a
carpenter.

End of story, thanks for listening.  By the way, this happened 50 years ago
and I remember it like it was yesterday.