[blindwoodworker] Router bit problem

  • From: "John Sherrer" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:05:28 -0400

Hi Folks

I want to share with you a  problem I  had with a  router bit.

I  have a  couple of half circle pieces of plywood laminated with formica.
I  want to copy their shape onto plywood and then make another pass with a
camfor router bit.  I  will not need the half circles originals after I  am
done.

I  used a streight bit with a  ball bearing, and the bearing lifted up and I
did not know it was loose.

I  screwed the half circle onto the plywood and went to work.  The bit tore
into the formica edge and left a  gouge on the edge.  This was a  benifit
for this job but I  did not want to do it this way.  But since it started
this way, I  finished it this way.

The ball bearing lifted up above the original piece of wood and the quarter
inch shaft replaced the ball bearing.

From now on I  will check, and I  am fortunate that it did not hurt this
job.

John Sherrer.