[blindweightwatcher] Food For Thought

  • From: "Jan Bailey" <jb021951@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindweightwatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:14:18 -0600

Food For Thought

Low Carb Substitutes
By Leanne Ely, C.N.C.

Dear Friends, I am one of those people that feels better eating less carbs.
Don't get me wrong; I am not touting that you eschew carbs altogether. I'm just
telling you how I roll. For me, it's the potatoes and bread that become
problems and keep the body clutter firmly in place, if you know what I mean.
I've
learned a few tricks along the way to help me not miss my beloved bread and
taters so bad. Here are a few of those fun ideas. Some of them you may be able
to find at the grocery store, some you may not. Either way, there is something
here that may work for you!
list of 10 items
1. Faux-tatoes Anyone? Who says you can't have your potato and eat it too? You
can when you switch mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower! Simply steam
up a whole head of cauliflower till tender, add some cream cheese, butter and
salt and pepper and whir it up in the blender or food processor. This is
so good, you're gonna wish you had done this sooner!
2. Going Crackers. So what if saltines are verboten? Genisoy brand crackers are
delicious and work well for snacking up a storm. And check this out lest
you think I've lost my low carb footing--the 12 grams per serving is for the 25
crackers they give you per serving! So eat half and you're still in the
low carb ballpark. They're available in a variety of flavors and can be had at
well-stocked grocery stores and health food stores.
3. Chips Ahoy! Chips are a snacker's divine right. Or so we seem to think. But
if you're low carbing, they're a carbohydrate nightmare. Tortilla Factory
has solved that problem with a great tasting low carb tortilla. Try the garlic
herb tortillas, cut into triangles, spray with some oil and crisp up in
the oven (about 425 degrees, for about 7 minutes). Only 3 net carbs per
tortilla!
4. It Hasta be Pasta. A simple substitute for the oft-craved pasta is spaghetti
squash. It truly does have a nice nutty flavor and topped with a meaty spaghetti
sauce and some grated Parmesan for an Italian feast. It may not be fettucine,
but it sure looks like angel hair!
5. Chocoholic's Relief. There are low carb chocolates and then there is Asher's
Peanut Butter Truffle bar. Available at GNC, this thing has only ONE net
carb and will save you from a Reese's regret later.
6. Panned Cakes. Thought you were doomed to skipping a stack of 'cakes forever?
The brand to get is Low Carb Success in the gold shiny bag - only 3 net
carbs per pancake! Try the butter pecan flavor. You don't even need syrup! I
got my mix at the health food store, but it is available on-line as well.
7. Give Me Some Sugar. Most low carbers point to the many splendored benefits
of Splenda. But give me xylitol any day of the week. How many sweeteners do
you know that have already been researched to show no ill side effects, are
non-controversial and actually help prevent cavities? Xylitol does all that
and tastes just like sugar to boot. Check out
www.xylitol.org
8. Soy the Sauce. If flour is taboo and cornstarch too, Whatcha gonna do when
you need to thicken up a gravy or sauce? Try using a little soy flour in its
place. Soy flour is low in carbs and will do the job regular old flour will do.
Say no to the white stuff and oh boy to soy!
9. Beg for the Roots. Turn that around to be rutabagas. Come on... who do you
know actually buys and eats rutabagas? You will when you see how wonderful
these tubers do as a quick stand-in for traditional potatoes in stews and
soups. No one will know the difference.
10. Cereal Killer. There are loads of low carb cereals available now and while
they might be a little on the expensive side, they're well worth the cost
if you're missing a bowl of something crunchy or hot in the morning. A personal
favorite is Flax-O-Meal available in a variety of flavors and in the cold
and hot variety.
list end

Like I said, some of these things may be hard to find. However, if you need a
little low carb relief, it could be worth the effort! Enjoy!

Love,
Leanne