[blindreplay] Recording an Archive

  • From: Kelly Pierce <kellytalk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 10:47:42 -0500

I figured out how to record the weekly archives of BBC programs. First, do a stream capture as usual of the current archived show. Then select "make new recording." Be sure that the url does not have a * in it but a long path. This is the true location of the file. The last url found is the one with the * and the second to last is the actual archive with the long URL, so a mindless tab and enter routine will point to a non-location as replay assumes that the last URL is the one you want.

Use the stream capture method to record and configure conversion options as usual. Check the selection "this is an archive don't retune automatically." If this item is left unchecked, Replay will keep downloading and converting the archive until the end time, resulting in a mess.

For scheduling, keep track when the new file is posted and choose a day and time with this information in mind. The end time is arbitrary as this is an archive, Replay will download the file much faster than a real time capture. For my 20 minute program, the download took less than a minute and a half. Consequently, I set the end time for five minutes after my start time.

Result: with the settings above, I can now automatically download at a scheduled time the weekly archive of my favorite BBC program without having to worry about time zone or scheduling changes that would cause problems with a live capture. Now thanks to Replay A/v I will never miss an episode of the program. It now happens automatically and silently in the background at a time I specify. Uber cool!

Kelly