New Haven man fights for Hispanic radio station

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:50:00 -0400

WTNH.com, CT, USA
Tuesday, October 16, 2007

New Haven man fights for Hispanic radio station

By News Channel 8's Jodi Latina

Posted Oct. 16, 2007 12:34 PM

New Haven (WTNH)_ It's an Hispanic community starving for its own Spanish radio
station. Now it has one.

At 41 years of age Hipolito Cuevas is the pioneer behind Super Max WEPA, a
community based all-Spanish radio station.

"The first they ask me is it legal," said Cuevas.

Cuevas is famous in the Hispanic community for fighting the Federal
Communications Commission nearly a decade ago.

News Channel 8 profiled him and his pirate radio station.

In 2000 the FCC shut him down. But supported by people in the community, he
petitioned the government for a license to run a low-powered community station.
After two years he lost.

"We went to court and we lost. It happens everyday," Cuevas said.

However, now under the FCC Part 15 rule, Cuevas is allowed to transmit from a
small office in downtown New Haven.

Low frequency antennas on Grand Avenue in Fair Haven make it happen. He says
the demand for Hispanic radio remains.

"There was an accident the other day with a Yale student and the people in New
Haven they didn't know it happened and it was in their own backyard," Cuevas
said.

Diagnosed with diabetes and legally blind, Hipolito Cuevas is now fighting a
personal battle too. But he says it doesn't stop his determination to bring the
power of information to his people.

"This is what keeps me alive this whole fight for Hispanic radio. It gives me
the motivation to keep going," Cuevas said.

Right now the station broadcasts in Fair Haven and The Hill neighborhoods of
New Haven. But by the end of the year WEPA officials plan to add more antennas
and broadcast to the entire city.

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=7220808
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.