Dining in the dark sheds light on talents of the blind

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:52:07 -0400

Tallahassee Democrat, FL, USA
Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dining in the dark sheds light on talents of the blind

A sold-out crowd was on hand Sunday night to attend the "3rd Annual Paula
Bailey Dining in the Dark" fundraiser sponsored by FIRE, the non-profit serving
the blind in the Big Bend.

The event, held at the University Center, is unique in that it's a three-course
dinner served in pitch-black darkness.

"Dining in the Dark" is a benefit designed to raise awareness and money for the
Florida Institute of Rehabilitation Education (FIRE) for People Who Are
Visually Impaired or Blind. For those who are blind, this is a chance for
friends and family to experience for a few short hours what those who are blind
live with every day.

Fred Sanguiliano, a business owner who is visually impaired, brought his wife,
Nancy, who said, "This was a real eye opening experience!"

The evening opened with a reception hosted by Fire Chief Cindy Dick, and then
diners made their way up to the ballroom, protected by Red Lobster bibs. Guests
were guided through the dark to their table, led by volunteers who are blind.
As people were seated, they were treated to the sounds of the Capital City
Chordsmen Barbershop Quartet.

The Leon County Sheriff's Office SWAT team again volunteered its time to serve
dinner to the 309 guests utilizing their night-vision goggles.

""This gives the guys good training working with their night vision," SWAT Sgt.
Charlie Strickland said. "At one point I was carrying two deserts which I could
see clearly, but when I looked up I couldn't see a thing 10 feet in front of me
because my goggles were focused at arms length. Normally in a training exercise
we are carrying a weapon and can hold on to the gun with one hand and reach up
and focus the goggles with the other. This gives us more experience dealing
with real life situations."

The event attracted two representatives of national organizations to observe
the program in order to replicate it on a national scale. Paula Graves,
development officer for Lions World Services for the Blind, and Suzanne Ressa,
coordinator of education and research for the Helen Keller National Center,
were in attendance.

Board President Frank Seidman presented the "Paula Bailey Inspirational
Community Member" award to Barbara Kiger, who was in tears as she received the
plaque in Braille from Fire Chief Cindy Dick.

"Those of you that know me, know I am never speechless ... but thank you. Just
thank you." Kiger became totally blind in 1985, due to a reaction to medication.

Both the event and award are named in honor of Paula Bailey, a former FIRE
client and board member who was an inspiration to the community. She became
blind and deaf in 1999 after an attack of meningitis, but regained her
independence and reached out to many with her warmth and generosity. She died
in April 2005.

Over $27,000 was raised to support FIRE's services for individuals who are
visually impaired or blind.

FIRE Executive Director Barbara Ross said, "If you take one message away
tonight, know that being blind does not mean being helpless."

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071016/BREAKINGNEWS/710160358
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.