Library access petition

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 08:37:55 -0400

V I Forum (UK)
Saturday, October 20, 2007

Library access petition

By Lynsey Scott <lynseypvic@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 00:00:02 +0100
Details about petition.

As a parent of a registered blind child who has to continuously battle with the
local library, I would like all libraries to have to label all childrens large
print books and put them together in a well labeled section. This is often done
for adult LP books, but not childrens books. I would also like them to purchase
and make available much larger print books for young readers in a print size or
approx 36 pt.

I would also like there to be accessible computers for low vision and blind
people and for these to be available in the childrens sections of bigger
libraries also.

I would also like to see CCTV equipment and text to speech readers in all
libraries, as the large print books available in libraries are not nearly large
enough for children I know and they need further magnification to read these
books and any others.

I would like to see libraries consider that blind children may attend their
story sessions and offer tactile experiences such as 'bag books' and to be more
aware of how to include VI children in national library reading schemes.

I would also like local libraries to fund RNIB talking books for their VI
readers.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/VIlibraryaccess/

Please help by signing the petition and passing details onto anyone you can
think of.

(Via Email)
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.