Delhi traffic police show the right way: Exhibition vans set up across the city

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:53:50 -0400

The Hindu, India
Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Delhi traffic police show the right way: Exhibition vans set up across the city

By Staff Reporter

NEW DELHI: To mark White Cane Day on Monday, the Delhi traffic police in
association with Svayam and All-India Confederation of the Blind (AICB)
launched an eight-day-long drive here. White Cane Day is commemorated across
the world on October 15 to celebrate the achievements of visually-impaired
persons and the important symbol of blindness - the white cane.

To sensitise the public about the need to keep the circulation spaces,
especially the access points and pedestrian pathways accessible and
approachable, the traffic police will set up exhibition vans across the city up
to October 22 on road safety and distribute road safety pamphlets.

Elaborating on the drive, Joint Commissioner of Police Qamar Ahmed said: "Our
department has been working towards making Delhi's roads safe for all,
especially the pedestrians. Be it the elderly or persons with reduced mobility,
especially visually-impaired, our drive will highlight the concerns of
everyone. We are proud to be associated with this drive to ensure equal right
of way for pedestrians".

M.K. Rastogi of AICB said: "With little changes in people's perceptions,
attitudes and a public infrastructure that incorporates barrier-free accessible
features, life can be more comfortable for people with disabilities. And this
will also ensure that persons with reduced mobility can become more productive
and economically contributing members of society".

http://www.hindu.com/2007/10/17/stories/2007101762610300.htm
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.