[blindcooks] Re: grilling tips

  • From: Jim Gatteys <jgatteys@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 11:35:45 -0500

Hi Jon and all!
The weber grill site has mentioned wrapping chips or wood in foil to make
packets which they place on a gas grill. I agree that charcoal gives a better
flavor. We used to have a gas grill when I was a kid but have always used
charcoal from then on.
Jim

On Aug 23, 2015, at 8:21 AM, Jon Rawlings <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Mike:
Remind me where you live again, please? It's unfortunate that charcoal is
beyond your reach, because it is far and away what I prefer. My knowledge,
such as it is, is with charcoal, so I'm not sure what I can offer about
cooking on a gas grill. How many burners does your grill have? I am going
to be exparamenting with smoking on a gas grill in the very near future to
see whether it can be done. Alton Brown suggests, in his first book, that
you can wrap up a bunch of sawdust inside a foil packet and puncture the
packet and place it right down sin the fire to make smoke. But as far as the
gas grill is concerned, I'm not sure there's much to do beyond turning the
thing on, letting it get good and hot for 5 or 10 minutes, and then placing
the food on the grates. I would suggest you purchase a probe-style
thermometer if you don't own one already. I'm talking about the kind where
you leave the probe in the meat. This probe is connected to a wire that
plugs into a digital readout at the other end so you can monitor what is
happening inside the meat. This is very useful for larger cuts of meat such
as a pork tenderloin or roast. An instant-read thermometer will also be very
useful for smaller things like burger patties and pieces of chicken.
Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike and Jenna" <schwaltze@xxxxxxxxx>