[blindcooks] RECIPE: Ultimate Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sandwich for a Crowd

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blind Cooks List" <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 10:32:31 -0800

Hi everyone:
     For those of us who adore Buffalo wings and just can't get enough of them,
here is the recipe I was asking about a few days ago.  I finally mamnaged to
get into my Food.com account, where this recipe was hiding.  I have not made
this recipe yet, only because I need a small crowd of people to serve it to.
When I make this, I will cook the assembled sandwich in a hot cast iron skillet
weighed down with a foil-wrapped brick.  I'm sure I'll do it on the grill one
day, but the hot press just sounds easier.  The comments and recipe that follow
are exactly as they appear on the site.  If an yone tries this before I do,
please give us a report on how it turned out.
   Jon

Like wings and like big stuffed sandwiches that are great foods for a superbowl
party . Well this is the best of both worlds. Great buffalo wing taste, celery
and carrots for a crunch, a wonderful blue cheese sauce all in a nice thick
crunchy sandwich. Please feel free to use your own wing sauce and homemade blue
cheese but a store bought sauce for both will work just fine for this. The
chicken and vegetables can be made ahead so all it takes is a few minutes to
put it together, and bake for 20 minutes either on the grill or in the oven.
Slice and serve with all your other favorite party foods. The ultimate Buffalo
Wing Sandwich. This is perfect for a party because you can make it all ahead
and just put it together and grill. BBQ, Superbowl party, or a football night
dinner with friends. Add a good salad, some fries or onion rings or a potato
salad and you got dinner. I promise you will love it. FYI, if you don't like
provolone, you can use mozzarella if you prefer.

Ingredients

Servings 8   Units US

4  boneless skinless chicken breasts
2  cups blue cheese dressing
10  slices provolone cheese (right from your grocery deli, feel free to use
shredded mozarella if you prefer or your favorite che)
3  carrots, large (thin sliced on a angle)
3  celery ribs (thin sliced on a angle)
1  onion (medium, cut in half and then thin sliced)
3/4 cup italian dressing to marinade vegetables
2 1/2 cups buffalo wing sauce
1  loaf Italian bread
4  tablespoons of melted butter
1  tablespoon kosher salt
1  teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Marinade -- the chicken all day or even over night. In a large baggie add 1 cup
of wing sauce and the chicken. Seal and shake and mix well to coat.

Vegetables -- 3-4 hours before making the sandwich, marinate the vegetables.
Add the sliced onions, carrots and celery in the Italian vinaigrette in a
baggie. Just toss in the refrigerator.

Chicken -- Once again, you can grill the chicken ahead of time to make dinner a
quick fix. Grill outside or inside grill pan is fine for this. Salt and pepper
the chicken and grill until done. It should take about 10-12 minutes. Don't cut
the chicken until you are ready to put the sandwiches together. Just let cool
and wrap in foil and refrigerate until ready to assemble the sandwich.

Sandwich -- Cut lengthwise and hollow out both the top and bottom just a bit to
make room for the filling. Then place under the broiler for just 30 seconds.
Just browning the inside will help keep the sandwich from getting soggy. Bring
the chicken to room temp and cut thin slices on a angle. Spread the blue cheese
on both the top and bottom of the bread, then to the bottom half of bread, add
1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 cup of wing sauce, the marinated vegetable (drained),
1/2 of the provolone cheese, the remaining chicken and 1/2 cup wing sauce and
the other 1/2 of the cheese. Finish with the top bread.

Sauce and Bake -- Melt the butter and add the remaining 1/2 cup sauce just in
the microwave and then brush on the bread, top and bottom. Now wrap in foil and
either grill inside or outside. Inside oven should be 375. I like to weigh my
down just a bit as it grills or bakes, Just a cast iron or any heavy pan will
work just fine. Cook for 10 minutes and then flip and cook another 5-7 minutes.
Remove and let set a minute and then slice up. It will serve 8-10 very hungry
people.