[blindcooks] Re: chinese food

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 11:44:25 -0800

Hi Mike:
     In that case, here is a white bread recipe for you to try in your stand
mixer.  I am cutting this in half so that your stand mixer can handle the
amount of dough, which should be a bit over three pounds.  King Arthur is my
favorite brand of bread and whole wheat flour.  If you make this bread, please
let me know how it turns out.  I strongly suggest weighing out your flour for
this, or any bread recipe.  I also have an excellent recipe for whole wheat
sandwich bread, if you're interested.  The recipe for the white bread follows.
   Jon

Jon's White Sandwich Bread
   Makes 2 1 1/2 - lb. loaves

Ingredients:
   5 cups (1 lb. 12 oz.) bread flour
   1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt)
   2 tablespoons sugar
   2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
   1 large egg (optional, but I like it)
   2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, 105 to 110 degrees F.
   1/3 cup dry milk powder (or you can use milk instead of water and skip the
powdered milk)
   6 tablespoons butter, softened

1.  Place the flour, salt, sugar, milk powder, and yeast in the bowl of your
mixer.  Atatch the dough hook to the machine.  Meanwhile, bring the water to
the correct temperature, or until it feels comfortably warm to the touch, but
not hot.
2.  Add the water and egg to the mixer bowl and turn the speed to low.  Mix on
low speed until the dough starts to come together, then add the softened butter
and raise the speed to the second setting on the machine.  Watch the mixing
progress to see if you need to add any additional flour or water.  You want a
soft, slightly-sticky dough that cleans the sides of the bowl without being
very stiff.
3.  When the dough has pulled together, allow the dough to knead for 6 to 7
minutes to develop the gluten.  Meanwhile, grease two loaf pans that are
designed to bake a 1 1/2 lb. loaf, then grease the bottom and sides of a medium
to large bowl.  Set these aside.
4.  When the kneading is finished, turn the dough out of the mixer bowl and
into the bowl you greased earlier.  Cover with a damp towel, set in a warm
place, and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
5.  Turn the dough out onto the counter, gently deflate it, then place the bowl
the dough was in on a scale.  Weigh the entire mass of dough, then divide the
dough in half so that each loaf is exactly the same size.  The loaves should
weigh about a pound and ten ounces each, ideally.  Shape the loaves, making
sure all exposed surfaces are stretched smooth and any seams or cracks are on
the bottom.  Place the loaves into the prepared loaf pans, press down gently to
flatten slightly, then allow to rise in a warm place until well crowned above
the rim of the pans, about 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes, depending on
how warm the dough and the room are.  Toward the end of the rising time,
preheat your oven to 350 degrees, allowing at least 15 minutes for the oven to
preheat.
6.  Bake the loaves in the center of the oven for 35 minutes, or until the
loaves are golden brown.  Immediately turn the loaves out of the pans onto a
cooling rack to cool completely.  For a soft crust, not to mention more flavor,
rub a small chunk of butter over the top and sides of the loaves while still
hot, then allow to cool at least 3 hours before slicing and serving.

This bread can be sliced and then frozen for up to 3 months.  When you need
some bread, take out what you need and either let it come to room temperature
in a bag or something to keep the air away, or defrost in the microwave.  If
you opt for the room temperature method, allow at least one hour for the slices
to come up to room temperature.  If you freeze the loaves without slicing them,
allow the loaves to defrost at least 4 hours before slicing.