[blindcooks] Italian Tomato Jam, just made it and it's delicous Marmellata di Pomodoro

  • From: "Valerie" <rosetta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:12:35 +1030

Hi everyone, this recipe has been put away in a drawer for ages, given to me
originally by an Italian lady and I have only just got around to making it.
I hope someone will give it a try as it’s delicious. If you like a sweet,
hot food spread, this jam goes very well with cream cheese, but the ways
mentioned below of serving it sound good too. Very easy, very quick and
think, as it states, it won’t last too long in the fridge.

Valerie.

P.S Only note I can add is that I am aware here in our country that canned
tomatoes can differ, some cans have lots of juice, others seem to have less
juice, so some adjustment might be needed with time of cooking to get the
right consistency and changes could be made as well to preference heat.

Italian Sweet Tomato Jam

Ingredients
2 cans diced tomatoes with juice, total weight of 800 grams

1/2 Cup Sugar
1- 2 whole Chilli, crumbled

¾ tsp sweet Paprika
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper

1 tbs balsamic vinegar

Juice and rind one very large lemon

1 bay leaf

Method

Add all ingredients to a large pan, apart from balsamic, cook and slow boil
the sauce for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Lower heat and continue to
cook, stirring frequently, for around another 25 minutes or until sauce has
thickened. Remove pan from heat, add balsamic vinegar, place pot back over
heat, bring to boil again for 2 to 3 minutes and then take off heat. Remove
bay leaf and spoon tomato jam into a jar, store in fridge when cooled. This
jam will keep for around eight days in the fridge, process jar in boiling
water if you are storing for longer, but usually this jam disappears quickly
as it’s delicious served spread as a base for bruschetta, on crackers with
cheese, or alongside ham.

GIF image