[blindcooks] Re: Baking a pie shell

  • From: "Jonathan Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 09:05:27 -0700

Dani: Marilyn is absolutely right on the whole thing about using dried beans to weigh down your pie crusts. The two biggest problems with pie crusts are either that the dough was not relaxed enough before placing in the pie plate, causing it to shrink down into the pan as it bakes, or that the crust will bubble and blister. Pricking the crust with a fork before baking is one good way to prevent the blistering, but so is weighing the crust down with another pie plate weighed down with something somewhat heavy as it bakes. The top plate is removed toward the end so the crust can brown and dry out a bit. Sounds like there will be some great pies coming along soon at your house. I am planning on making a banana cream pie today, but it depends on whether I can find the time to make the filling this morning. It's cobb salad and potato rolls for dinner tonight.
  Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marilyn H" <mhnewlife2016@xxxxxxxxx>