[blindchristian] Morning and Evening, March 30, 2015

  • From: "Victoria E Gilkerson" <vegilkerson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Gary & Fredna'" <garyfredna@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:28:15 -0500

Morning and Evening
Charles H. Spurgeon
March 30, 2015

Morning Reading

He was numbered with the transgressors.

-Isaiah 53:12

Why did Jesus suffer Himself to be enrolled amongst sinners? This wonderful
condescension was justified by many powerful reasons. In such a character He
could the better become their advocate. In some trials there is an
identification of the counsellor with the client, nor can they be looked
upon in the eye of the law as apart from one another. Now, when the sinner
is brought to the bar, Jesus appears there Himself. He stands to answer the
accusation. He points to His side, His hands, His feet, and challenges
Justice to bring anything against the sinners whom He represents; He pleads
His blood, and pleads so triumphantly, being numbered with them and having a
part with them, that the Judge proclaims, "Let them go their way; deliver
them from going down into the pit, for He hath found a ransom." Our Lord
Jesus was numbered with the transgressors in order that they might feel
their hearts drawn towards Him. Who can be afraid of one who is written in
the same list with us? Surely we may come boldly to Him, and confess our
guilt. He who is numbered with us cannot condemn us. Was He not put down in
the transgressor's list that we might be written in the red roll of the
saints? He was holy, and written among the holy; we were guilty, and
numbered among the guilty; He transfers His name from yonder list to this
black indictment, and our names are taken from the indictment and written in
the roll of acceptance, for there is a complete transfer made between Jesus
and His people. All our estate of misery and sin Jesus has taken; and all
that Jesus has comes to us. His righteousness, His blood, and everything
that He hath He gives us as our dowry. Rejoice, believer, in your union to
Him who was numbered among the transgressors; and prove that you are truly
saved by being manifestly numbered with those who are new creatures in Him.

Evening Reading

Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the Lord.

-Lamentations 3:40

The spouse who fondly loves her absent husband longs for his return; a long
protracted separation from her lord is a semi-death to her spirit: and so
with souls who love the Saviour much, they must see His face, they cannot
bear that He should be away upon the mountains of Bether, and no more hold
communion with them. A reproaching glance, an uplifted finger will be
grievous to loving children, who fear to offend their tender father, and are
only happy in his smile. Beloved, it was so once with you. A text of
Scripture, a threatening, a touch of the rod of affliction, and you went to
your Father's feet, crying, "Show me wherefore Thou contendest with me?" Is
it so now? Are you content to follow Jesus afar off? Can you contemplate
suspended communion with Christ without alarm? Can you bear to have your
Beloved walking contrary to you, because you walk contrary to Him? Have your
sins separated between you and your God, and is your heart at rest? O let me
affectionately warn you, for it is a grievous thing when we can live
contentedly without the present enjoyment of the Saviour's face. Let us
labour to feel what an evil thing this is-little love to our own dying
Saviour, little joy in our precious Jesus, little fellowship with the
Beloved! Hold a true Lent in your souls, while you sorrow over your hardness
of heart. Do not stop at sorrow! Remember where you first received
salvation. Go at once to the cross. There, and there only, can you get your
spirit quickened. No matter how hard, how insensible, how dead we may have
become, let us go again in all the rags and poverty, and defilement of our
natural condition. Let us clasp that cross, let us look into those languid
eyes, let us bathe in that fountain filled with blood-this will bring back
to us our first love; this will restore the simplicity of our faith, and the
tenderness of our heart.

This has been brought to you by the following ministries:
Blue Letter Bible <http://www.blueletterbible.org>
Sowing Circle <http://www.sowingcircle.org>

 <http://www.blueletterbible.org/about/stories/shelley/index.cfm>
http://www.blb.org/assets/images/campaigns/ShelleyCrammStory.png

This emailed devotional is a daily mailing courtesy of the Blue Letter Bible
to which you have subscribed.

CLICK HERE
<http://www.blb.org/userPrefs/unsubscribe.cfm?ID=247B0FC3D7&CID=D53B69> . If
you continue to receive the mailing, REPLY to this email and state that you
wish to unsubscribe. One of the Blue Letter Bible staff will take care of
the request manually.

Blue Letter Bible
22431 Antonio Parkway, Suite B160-618
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688-3932