[blindchristian] A Time for War, November 18, 2015

  • From: "Victoria" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gilkerson2730" for DMARC)
  • To: <blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 04:00:07 -0600

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=a1a7d4fb31&e=22b3160f47> COLSON CENTER
<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=12c4535ac8&e=22b3160f47> BREAKPOINT

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=138ba3be56&e=22b3160f47> daily_commentary_11_13_15

BreakPoint Daily | November 18, 2015

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=d1d524ec24&e=22b3160f47> A Time for War?

ISIS and the Attack on Paris

http://www.breakpoint.org/email/bp/icon-headphones.png
<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=7652ae32a6&e=22b3160f47> LISTEN TO TODAY'S COMMENTARY

http://www.breakpoint.org/images/metaxas.jpg

Eric Metaxas

It’s been a dark few days. In the wake of historic bloodshed, we need to
pray ceaselessly. And then we need to ask ourselves whether being a
peacemaker might mean taking up arms.

France is reeling after its most violent day since World War II. Islamist
terrorists launched at least six attacks throughout Paris: 129 are dead, and
over 350 injured. France has confirmed what most of us already suspected:
ISIS is behind the attacks.

The president of France rightly called the shootings “an act of war,” and
promised a “ruthless” military response. And while authorities across Europe
have begun apprehending suspects, the attack shows one thing for certain:
The world has underestimated ISIS and its capabilities, and the war in the
Middle East is not staying in the Middle East.

But France is not the only nation grieving. A double suicide bombing in
Beirut, Lebanon a few days prior claimed 43 lives and left 200 others
wounded. ISIS was also responsible for that atrocity.

It’s easy to feel helpless against evil like this. What do I think most
important? Prayer. The people of France and much of the Middle East need the
healing help and the salvation that only our Lord Jesus can offer. A Muslim
world increasingly dominated by radicals and a spiritually comatose Europe
need nothing short of a miracle.

But as we pray, it’s also time to start thinking and talking about a hard
subject: war. Chuck Colson often challenged BreakPoint listeners to ask when
we, as a people commanded to make peace and return good for evil, should
take up arms against wrongdoers. A Just War tradition dating back to St.
Augustine offers answers and guidelines. For example, war must be a last
resort, we have to have a reasonable chance of success, and civilian lives
must be protected. In certain moments, war may be a moral imperative. But is
now such a moment?

One man who’s devoted his life to making peace, and who stood his ground
against ISIS from the beginning, thinks so. Canon Andrew White, whom I know,
affectionately known as “Vicar of Baghdad,” gave his thoughts on ISIS just
days before the Paris attacks. An Anglican priest in one of Iraq’s deadliest
sectors, White has watched hundreds from his congregation killed or
tortured. He has shrugged off capture, death threats, and a huge price on
his head, all while battling his own multiple sclerosis. I remember matching
wits with him at the 2013 Wilberforce Weekend, where the Colson Center
recognized his singular courage, love for his people, and zeal for peace.
You will not find a more devoted dove in all of the Middle East.

But in an interview with The Independent, the Vicar of Baghdad sounded like
a hawk.

“You can’t negotiate with [ISIS],” he says. “I have never said that about
another group of people. These are really so different, so extreme, so
radical, so evil. It really hurts. I have tried so hard…[but] I am forced by
death and destruction to say there should be war.”

Let me be clear: I am not calling for war. I’m calling for a national
discussion. After spending so many years watching flag-draped coffins come
home from Iraq and Afghanistan, this conversation is a very tough one. But
America isn’t without fault in this unfolding conflict. Our country’s
actions in Iraq helped create the power vacuum that ISIS has filled.

As our leaders decide whether to step up efforts against ISIS, the United
States cannot and must not move forward without its conscience—the
Church—fully engaged. That means discussing war from a biblical worldview
and hitting our knees—not just for the people in France, Lebanon, and
elsewhere grieving today, but for those who may have to pick up weapons in
defense of the unarmed, and go to war to make peace.

NEXT STEPS

A Time for War?: ISIS and the Attack on Paris
As Eric said, this is a time to be praying for our leaders and for so many
whose lives have been affected by terrorism and acts of violence. For
further discussion and points on the just war doctrine, click on the links
below.

RESOURCES

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=793bab5132&e=22b3160f47> A Fact Sheet on Just War Theory
BreakPoint.org | September 25, 2006

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=5dd353cc17&e=22b3160f47> Top Vatican diplomat backs use of force in
wake of Paris attacks
Inés San Martín | cruxnow.com | November 16, 2015

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=6068bee354&e=22b3160f47> Just War, As It Was and Is
James Turner Johnson | First Things | January 2005

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=0831f177cf&e=22b3160f47> Paris suicide bomber identified; ISIS
claims responsibility for 129 dead
Mariano Castillo | CNN.com | November 16, 2015

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=648e50e203&e=22b3160f47> Canon Andrew White: 'Vicar of Baghdad' on
leading a church in Iraq and being in the crosshairs of Isis
Cole Moreton | Independent.co.uk | November 2, 2015

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=c0c3d05825&e=22b3160f47> Rediscovering Protestant Just War
Tradition, video
Mark Tooley | juicyecumenism.com | November 3, 2015

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=fa8e418241&e=22b3160f47> Syria and Just War Theory
John Stonestreet | BreakPoint.org | September 13, 2013

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=ba351b86a1&e=22b3160f47> What Chuck Would Say about the US and
ISIS: A Just War?
Eric Metaxas | BreakPoint.org | September 24, 2014

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=306fb244bd&e=22b3160f47> ISIS Claims Responsibility for Blasts That
Killed Dozens in Beirut
Anne Barnard and Hwaida Saad | Newyorktimes.com | November 12, 2015

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=4949029710&e=22b3160f47> BREAKPOINT THIS WEEK

Did you miss BreakPoint This Week?
We all know our culture is changing, but in what way? Is Christianity dying,
or are we witnessing a polarization? John Stonestreet, Ed Stetzer, and guest
offer answers and a way forward.

Visit BreakPoint This Week online
<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=3dd195a78a&e=22b3160f47> >

Add BreakPoint This Week to iTunes
<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=a7d451f0e1&e=22b3160f47> >

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=22a752e910&e=22b3160f47>
http://www.breakpoint.org/email/bp/soc-fb.png

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c
3b5f6&id=2af7b580f8&e=22b3160f47>
http://www.breakpoint.org/email/bp/soc-tw.png

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=5bbea62103&e=22b3160f47> Yt

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser
<http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c3b5f6&id=8a3a04cd5
0&e=22b3160f47> .

This email was sent to gilkerson2730@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/about?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c3b5f6&;
id=84bd2dc76d&e=22b3160f47&c=8a3a04cd50> why did I get this? unsubscribe
from this list
<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage1.com/unsubscribe?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788
c3b5f6&id=84bd2dc76d&e=22b3160f47&c=8a3a04cd50> update subscription
preferences
<http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/profile?u=990ccec18ea2e3c8788c3b5f
6&id=84bd2dc76d&e=22b3160f47>
Colson Center · 44180 Riverside Parkway · Lansdowne, VA 20176 · USA

http://colsoncenter.us12.list-manage.com/track/open.php?u=990ccec18ea2e3c878
8c3b5f6&id=8a3a04cd50&e=22b3160f47

Victoria E Gilkerson

GIF image