Re: Chris or anybody, Won't validate

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:19:53 -0600

Hi Chuck

When I say "direct link to the file", I mean just that, a direct link that references a download of an mp3 file, using nothing more than standard html code. Ok. let's say for example that you've recorded a test podcast audio file called Blogprince.mp3. You record your file, save it as an mp3 at 64k, 44.1 khz like I mentioned before, and then you upload it to your website.
So the direct address to your file would look something like,
http://home.earthlink.net/~chuckayers/blogprince/blogprince.mp3
that's a direct link to the file, because it addresses it directly. Ok, now after you have your file up there, you create a blog entry, just as you did before and you say hey everybody, I'm so excited, I just recorded my first podcast!
*chris interrupts this imaginary blog entry*
Ok, it's now time to place a direct link to your file in your blog entry. It would look something like this:

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~chuckayers/blogprince/blogprince.mp3";>Click here to download the file</A>.

*back to the blog entry*
You can either download the file with the link above, or you can subscribe to the podcast using the following link
http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogprince
Just paste the above link into your favorite podcatching software, and when a new episode of the blogprince podcast is released, you'll receive it automatically! Enjoy!
*end of imaginary blog entry*

Ok, now you might be confused about this direct link thing, but let me explain that. You see, Feedburner needs an mp3 file to look for so it can turn your file into a podcast. Without that direct link, it can't find it, so that's why you need to put that link in your blog entry. What feedburner does is take your audio files and makes them into a podcast, but to do that, it *must!* have direct links to your audio files, and the rss feed to your blog.
If you're currently just writingup your blog entries all on your own and you aren't using any other service like blogger, bloglines, or live journal which is what I use for mine, then you'll need to set up an account with one of those services.
If you're using a blogging service though, i have absolutely no doubt that your blog has its own rss feed. To make this whole thing work, you gotta find that rss feed address. remember, it ends in a .xml, or rss extention. Without it, this isn't going to work.

Hope this helps you along.

At 03:33 PM 12/6/2005, you wrote:
Chris you said:
"You first record your
audio file and then you upload it to whatever web space you have. You then
do a blog entry and reference a link to your audio file, remember it has to
be a direct link to a file, not a link to a streaming version of it,"
Chris, can you give me more detail how the above happens.  How do you make a
direct link to the file?  I am still not having any success with Feed
Burner.
I have a blog or website with two audio files you can click on and listen.
How do I make these direct links as you mentioned above.  Do I need
additional software to convert the audio link to a RSS feed?  If so, where
do I get it and what is called and how is it used?
Thanks very much for your help.

Chuck Ayers
Tulsa, Ok. USA
Email: