Audio advice needed

  • From: Jason Castonguay <jcast@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:13:58 -0500

Hello listers!

I am really wanting to start my own podcast and am looking for advice on
what audio equipment I need.  I suppose I can use what I have now
(computer, mic, and headphones), but I'm wanting a bit more of a
professional setup with a mixer and related equipment.  I also am
thinking I'll use a computer dedicated to audio production and I am not
sure to go the Windows or Mac route.  As far as I know, there is at
least one user on this list using a Mac successfully.

I guess I have quite a number of questions I should be asking and I am
sure answers will spawn more questions, but here are a few for
beginners:

1)  Is it easy to produce professional audio with the Mac?  I ask
     because I am excited to try out the Mac with Voiceover.
2)  What mixer would you recommend which is accessible and easy to use?
3)  I am not sure what to call it, but I've heard about
     filtering/compression when it comes to finalizing the audio.
     Should I do that on the software end or use a hardware device?
4)  I would like a mic good for talking/singing and another good for
     event recording.  What mics would you recommend?

I guess that is all I can think of at this point.  I appreciate any
feedback that any of you have to offer.  In addition to replying to this
e-mail, you also have the option of calling a number I've set up for
you.  I'm thinking that it would be very nice to speak with some of you
audio gurus in person rather than correspond via e-mail.  Sometimes,
conversation provides for much smoother communication than e-mail.  If
you are comfortable with this, feel free to call:

206-888-6695

and leave a message.  I will call you back so we can talk in person.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this somewhat lengthy
message.

Best regards,

--
"Let music echo the thoughts of your soul."

                --  Jason Castonguay <jcast@xxxxxxxx>

Today is Pungenday, the 26th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3171