[blind-democracy] Re: Trump's War against humanity

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 16:31:13 -0400

Marsha,

There are a lot of progressive people who are Jewish and who were raised to
have very strongly positive feelings for Israel. There are a lot of reasons
for this. For one thing, most of us didn't understand the true history of
how Israel was founded, partly because we weren't told the full truth at the
time. And since the founding, there have been years and years of positive
propaganda about Israel. Most of the films we saw and the books we read,
glorified Israel. And we were told that there was always the danger that
wherever we lived, we were in danger of being persecuted, just as the Jews
in Germany were. Israel would be there as a kind of insurance, a shield
against another holocaust. The Jews who attend synagogue or temple were
encouraged to support Israel. Even Noam Chomsky is having difficulty giving
up the dream. Those of us who are Jewish and who have been able to see
clearly what Israel is and to accept that it was built on a colonialist
premise and that its existence as a Jewish State caused a terrible injustice
to the Palestinians, have traveled a very long and difficult road to get to
this position. Most Jewish Americans haven't been able to travel that road.