[blind-democracy] Re: Thought Provoking Post from Mostafa

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 15:45:06 -0400

I lost contact with him and I didn't even try. But it is just as well. He reminds me of another email experience I had with another Egyptian. There was an announce only Yahoo group that I once subscribed to out of curiosity. It was a list that sent out one passage from the Quran every day with some commentary. The commentary was pretty much fire and brimstone commentary. After a while my curiosity was satisfied and I unsubscribed. The next day I was subscribed again. I unsubscribed again and I found myself resubscribed again. This went on for some time before I wrote directly to the list owner and asked to be removed. I got a message back telling me that it was very important that I continue to subscribe to keep myself out of hell. It was somewhere in the exchange that the guy mentioned that he was based in Egypt. It makes me wonder if he is associated with Moustafa. Anyway, I finally convinced him to let me go and he told me that I made him very sad and he would pray for me. Sheesh! I get fed up enough with bible thumpers. I don't want to have to put up with Quran thumpers too. Either type just cannot conceive that other people have a right not to be preached at.

On 6/30/2015 12:14 PM, Carl Jarvis wrote:

Thanks Bob. I've stayed in contact with Mostafa after he left the old
list. I was sorry that Joe had lashed out with such anger. Mostafa
has points of view well worth thinking about. We are none of us so
well informed that we can't benefit from another point of view. But I
mostly like to debate our different Faiths, Muslim and Agnosticism.
We disagree respectfully, each listening to the other.
Recently Mostafa also posted his views on same sex relations. I've
not heard back from him since I offered my more liberal views on the
subject.

Carl Jarvis

On 6/30/15, Bob Hachey <bhachey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

Here is a most interesting post from our old friend Mostafa from Egypt. He
compares the UK favorably against the US.

I certainly do agree with this second point on the media. Not knowing
enough
about life in the UK I don't feel qualified to comment on the other four
points.

In general, Mostafa believes that Brits hold a broader view of things.

Bob Hachey

Hello. I debated in my mind whether should I write this or not. I would
much prefer to have this broadly promulgated so people can recognise the
difference. Both cultures may seem close but in fact, they are
significantly
different. So here, I will inshallah list five major factors. Note, I am
not
trying to irritate Americans, I am just trying to show you something which
may benefit you to advocate for improvement. Firstly, comparing education.
Education in the United Kingdom is a substantial experience. Children learn
in diversity and they are exposed to a wide range of multiculturalism. In
the United States, education is strangled and despite the transnationalism
of pupils, they are melted into one culture, quarantined, brainwashed and
gradually americanised. Secondly, media and mass coverage. American media
is
controlled, it is owned by parties which are influenced by certain
political
ideologies such as CNN, PBS, CBS, Fox News, Washington Post and so on.
These
televisions often presuppose stereotyped assumptions and they see
everything from American angle. Whilst the BBC for instance, despite its
ownership to the British government, but they attempt to show you
everything
impartially without any exertion to give you a particular conclusion. They
just show you what happened without random analysis, in other words,
prejudice. So for instance, the following headline is taken directly from
the BBC website. "Egypt's public prosecutor, Hisham Barakat, has died of
his
injuries after a bomb attack on his car in Cairo, officials say". You may
wish to do this experiment. You may take this piece of news or any other
piece of news of your choice and have the BBC page of that particular
headline paralleled with a major U.S news broadcast and see the difference.
Thirdly, general culture. In the United Kingdom, you will find people from
all different cultures. Some people immigrated from south Africa, eastern
and southern Asia. Whilst in the United States, people migrated from
various
regions but, they unfortunately are culturally influenced and
extraordinarily indoctrinated. Fourthly, relationship with foreign
countries. When I wanted to learn English, I went to the British Council
which is a major centre for cultural exchange and it is recognised
worldwide. It relevantly resembles the British enthusiasm for advancing
edification, enlightenment and intercultural communication. Whilst in
contrast, the United States is barely represented in the controversially
American University here in Cairo which is another place for imposing
persuasiveness and indoctrination. Finally, entertainment and general
pursuits. English people often entertain themselves by either watching or
engaging in sport activities such as Football, Cricket or Tennis. However,
Americans often entertain themselves by quite different activities and I
better dismiss them. In the United Kingdom, state television restricts any
inappropriate material whilst in the United States, almost everything is
quite easy to disclose. Transportations are quite easier and much reliable
in the United Kingdom. Generally speaking, British people are strict to
etiquette, good manners and courtesy. Whilst in the United States, people
often speak colloquially and you are subjected to racist, obscene,
detestable or intolerant remarks by hateful individuals. Food in the United
States is mostly junk whilst in the United Kingdom, there is a wide variety
of restaurants which resembles the cultural diversity in the country and of
course, it has much healthier food. I love English made chocolates. I love
Kit Cat and After Eight, it is deliciously flavoured with mint. Yum yum,
please, give me some.