[blind-democracy] Re: Half of Voters Back Muslim Travel Ban, Patrols of Muslim Neighborhoods, Cameron Easley, Morning Consult

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 14:49:54 -0400

Not necessarily. I remember back during Pappy Bush's Gulf War when all the flag waving and anti-Iraq sloganeering was going on my party was intervening in the anti-war movement with the demand that the American people be allowed to vote on whether we should go to war. I was just a bit doubtful about whether that would be a good idea considering the kill 'em all climate and I said to a comrade that I was afraid that if a vote was taken we would lose. I was told in reply, "If the people had been allowed to vote on whether to go to war in the first place I don't think we would even be having a war." That phrase, in the first place, was crucial. No, I suppose I really don't think we would have had a war either. In fact, upon thinking about it, if a vote had been taken right then in the middle of all the hate Iraq fervor I think it would have been likely that most people would have said that we don't have to hate Iraq all that much and would have voted against it. Being barraged with cheer leading for the cause of the bosses can have an effect of making people think they just have to go along, to fit in if for nothing else. And my discussions with regular people tended to confirm that. Reasoning with them just a little got them to admit that they really did not know why a war was necessary and that they would have preferred peace. If given the actual power to establish a fascist government I would expect that they would back off too. Remember that Marx did not make the observation that in any time of history the ruling ideas are the ideas of the ruling class for nothing. Ruling class ideologies are imposed on the population. They are pounded with it most every day and told that they must agree with it. But if you have a situation in which the masses actually take power then the former ruling class is no longer in power and if they are no longer in power they do not have the power to force their ideologies onto the masses. Other ideologies or, ultimately, no ideology take over.

On 4/3/2016 6:34 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Bob, I alluded to the same sentiments in my response to Carl. If we actually ever let the general public take over the government we would end up with a facist theocracy.

Frank