[blind-democracy] Fwd: Ben & Jerry: people, Ben & Jerry's: corporation

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 09:37:07 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ben & Jerry via Bernie 2016 <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:15:51 +0000
Subject: Ben & Jerry: people, Ben & Jerry's: corporation
To: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>

Ben Cohen: Hi, I'm Ben.

Jerry Greenfield: And I'm Jerry.

Ben Cohen: I'm a person.

Jerry Greenfield: And I'm a person.

Ben Cohen: And together, we came up with a company called Ben &
Jerry's Homemade, Inc.

Jerry Greenfield: That's a corporation.

Ben Cohen: Ben, person. Jerry...

Jerry Greenfield: Person.

Ben Cohen: Ben & Jerry's, not a person...that's a corporation.

Jerry Greenfield: They're different.

Ben Cohen: But there's this problem. The Supreme Court decided that
corporations are people, and that they're entitled to the same rights
as people are. It's called "corporate personhood."

Jerry Greenfield: That's ridiculous. And what it means is that this
presidential election, there will be a whole mess of shadowy money and
corporate contributions backing candidates and causes on both sides of
the aisle.

Ben Cohen: Except for Bernie Sanders, of course. Bernie has led the
fight to put an end to the corrupting influence of big money in our
politics.

Jerry Greenfield: From the very beginning, Bernie's called for a
constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United -- something with
which we couldn't agree more.

Ben Cohen: Sign Bernie Sanders' petition calling for a constitutional
amendment to reverse the disastrous Citizens United Supreme Court
decision:

https://go.berniesanders.com/page/s/citizens-united-bj?source=em150714su-bj

Jerry Greenfield: People thought we were crazy when we started putting
dough into our ice cream.

Ben Cohen: But what's really crazy is all the dough corporations are
putting into politics.

Jerry Greenfield: The issue is so important because all of the money
it introduces into the political process influences almost every issue
Congress considers.

Ben Cohen: Join us and sign Bernie Sanders' campaign to overturn
Citizens United.

Sign the petition:

https://go.berniesanders.com/page/s/citizens-united-bj?source=em150714su-bj

Thanks for joining us in this important effort!

Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield----
Paid for by Bernie 2016
(not the billionaires)

PO Box 905 - Burlington VT 05402 United States - (855) 4-BERNIE

This email was sent to carjar82@xxxxxxxxx. Email is one of the most
important tools we have to reach supporters like you, but if you’d
like to, click here to unsubscribe:
powerful special interests who are systematically buying our Congress
and have their sights set on the presidency by contributing to Bernie
here:
https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/lets-go-bernie?refcode=email_footer.