[blind-democracy] Re: Close Guantanamo and Return It to Cuba

  • From: "Bob Hachey" <bhachey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 14:28:36 -0500

Hi All,
While I agree with the author here, I doubt Obama will close Guantanamo and
return it to Cuba. While Obama may want to do so in principle, I think that
there's way too much politics running through his veins. That is, he will
refuse to do the right thing here because of the impact on the 2016
presidential election. Can you imagine how the Republican candidates for
president and Congress will react? They'll claim he's soft on terrorists and
that a vote for Clinton or any other Democrat is a vote to cede power to the
terrorists.
I sure do hope I'm wrong here because by maintaining the prison at
Guantanamo and holding prisoners without charge or trial of some sort means
that we're no better than the Soviet Union or any other dictatorship.
Bob Hachey